Clogged or blocked drainpipe

Old 07-12-06, 02:48 PM
Clogged or blocked drainpipe

I have two gutter downspouts which feed into plastic corrugated
drainpipes, the black flexible kind, not perforated. The problem is when there is a heavy rain, the water backs up and overflows onto
the soil, next to the house. A leak in the garage led me to investigate this problem. I disconnected the gutter downspout from the corrugated tubes and looked inside. The water is just sitting there.

Could these pipes have been clogged by debris collected in the gutters? If so, how can I unclog them?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-06, 03:39 PM
Anything that was on the roof, went into these lines. This includes leaves and the "sand" coating on shingles that broke loose. A pressure washer MAY clean out the blockage. Small stuff collects in the corrugations and starts the blockage process. Good luck.

Old 07-12-06, 05:40 PM
Thanks. I looked more closely at the entire drainage system around the house and it appears that these two corrugated pipes terminate in the soil by the side of the house. Does that seem possible? Coudl they connect with subsoil perforated piping? I checked and the water did indeed lower in the tube. Then, I ran a hose directly into the pipe and it filled in about 1 minute.

Old 07-12-06, 07:27 PM
rpt
It's hard to say what your drainage system looks like, but around here they tie downspouts into drainage systems that go to the storm sewer system. They do indeed clog due to leaves, dirt, debris, and that sandy crap that is on your asphalt roofing shingles. It sounds like you have a clog with just enough opening to allow water to eventually drain out.

What I do to start is to use a hose with the water running and see if I can break the clog free.

If that doesn't work, then I use an electric snake. I've used the non-electric type, but found that the clogs reappear fairly quickly afterwards.

If the clog isn't too far down the drainage line, sometimes I just get out my air compressor and blow air through the clog. I've been advised by some people that this can blow apart a drainage line, so I start at a low pressure and work up. I haven't broken any drains doing this.....yet.

Bob