Well Water HELP!!

Old 07-13-06, 02:08 PM
Well Water HELP!!

Hi everyone, I'm new here, but I am desperate for some help on an ongoing problem.

My husband and I recently purchased a 2000 doublewide mobile home. Now the owners before us were not the cleanest people in the world, but I don't know if that has anything to do with this problem at all.

Anyway, we moved the home to 5 acres of land next to my sister and my parents. My parents have this awesome well that they have hooked up to my sisters house and my house.

Their water, my parents and my sister, is fine, no problems with it at all, but I'm 3rd down the line to get water and it is to say the least HORRIBLE!. At first it wasn't so bad, but over the last 2 months it has gotten worse and worse. And now it's not just the hot water (which it was for a while) now its the cold water too. I mean my ice cubes have that horrible sulfer smell.

We've drained the hot water tank several times, we've replaced the magnesium anode rod with an aluminum one and I am just at my wits end on what to do next.

I don't understand how two houses on the same well don't have any problems at all, but I do.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME BEFORE I GO CRAZY!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-06, 05:44 PM
My first take is that it's bacterial (the sulpher smell). Do any of the others have water treatment that you don't? Anything that's different?

You could have the water tested; that might point to a solution.

Old 07-13-06, 06:55 PM
No they don't have any water treatment that I am aware of and my husband pretty much build my parent's house and set up my sisters house, so we would know. I just don't get it, and its not like we're 100 miles from the well, we're fairly close.

Old 07-13-06, 07:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The anode rod should be zinc, and not aluminum. The sulphur smell may be bacterial, but my bet is the former anode was forced to attack the former water source, and the water was just too much for it. I know you said it was a mobile home. Are the supply lines pex or iron?

Old 07-13-06, 08:00 PM
If it's both hot & cold, this may not be it, but if it started in the hot, you can take a peek at this document from Rheem to see if it's at all helpful.

Read the section:
"My water is smelly and oftentimes has a rotten egg odor. What can I do?"