Replace shutoff valve on plastic pipe

Old 07-14-06, 12:07 PM
Waz
Unhappy Replace shutoff valve on plastic pipe

At our garage sink, I cannot get the shutoff valve on the hot water to turn off. I have turned off the main house water and replaced the knob itself. Turned main water back on and tried to turn off the water again with the new shutoff knob. No luck turning off the water. The pipe coming from the wall is the grey plastic kind with what looks like a cooper type collar attached between the pipe and the valve assembly. How do I work with this grey plastic pipe and replacing the value assembly and connecting to the incoming water line and the water line to the faucet?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-06, 01:52 PM
Waz, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Best guess is that you have either PEX or Polybutylene (sp?) piping. Hope it's PEX. These two types of piping use the connectors you described. If it is PEX (and you will need to find a longer run of pipe to see what the markings on it are) you will need to buy or rent a tool for doing connections. Then you will need the fittings and valve. If you rent the tool, make sure it has been recently calibrated. Good luck.

Old 07-14-06, 03:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What is your opinion of him purchasing an aftermarket compression pex shut off valve, cutting the pex or poly back a little, installing the new valve and lead out pipe in the compression fitting?