W/D overflow drain on bathroom

Old 07-14-06, 01:12 PM
W/D overflow drain on bathroom

I have a half bath in my condo that I want to convert into a laundry area. There is no existing overflow drain so I'm thinking of using the toilet drain for it. The problem is that the floors are flat and there is no way for me to angle the floor to the toilet drain (without spending too much). Is putting the overflow drain worthwhile or should I just cover it with tile?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-06, 01:38 PM
If I am reading your post correctly, you can not do it. What I am reading in your post is that you want to remove the toilet and use the toilet drain for the washer drain. Toilets have their own trap built into the bowl. There is no trap in the piping that is in the floor. In order to use the toilet drain, you would need to install a fitting from 2" (the standpipe for the washer) to whatever size your toilet drain is (probably 3" or 4") and install a trap in the line before it goes into the drain. Good luck and let us know if I was correct with what you want to do.

Old 07-14-06, 02:05 PM
I'm actually going to use the sink drain and put a p-trap for the washer drain. I'm just worried about leaks and overflows when the washer breaks. So I thought I'd use the toilet drain for these type of situations. Will this work even if the floor is flat?

Old 07-14-06, 03:29 PM
you will have sewer gas smell coming from the toilet pipe. and is not to code in most places.

Old 07-14-06, 03:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You are "doomsday" planning. Like radar says, the sewer gas will come up from the toilet drain. Don't plan on the washer breaking. Keep it in good working condition. Also make sure the stand pipe you plan on using extends to the top of the washer tub level.

Old 07-14-06, 11:28 PM
If what you want is a floor drain in the room, you could open the floor, reduce the toilet drain to 2", add a p-trap, then set a floor drain. This presumes that the toilet is vented.

And if you're using a sink drain, make sure that it's 2" (most bathroom sinks are 1½", which would be under-sized for a washer).