Water drupping/Leakage behind the Water-Heater/Gas

Old 07-16-06, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water drupping/Leakage behind the Water-Heater/Gas

Hi All:
For the past weeks, there has been a small amount of water dripping around the 'shut-off'/main valve right behind the Water-Heater/Natural Gas.

My adult son is so handy that he has doing almost professional plumbing job around the house. However, since the problematic area is right behind the Water-Heater/Gas, he has no clue how to reach that area. Is there any way for him to reach the area of main shut-off valve behind the Water-Heater/Gas? He's talking about cutting the dry-wall right behind the Water-Heater in order to reach and fix the problem. Is it a right thing for him to do?

Or, should I call a professional plumber to fix this problem..., a small amount of water dripping behind the Hot Water Heater/Gas?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-06, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A picture of the setup may help people see what's going on. I think the best way would be to drain the heater and then move it rather than cutting out the drywall. Once it has been moved you should be able to repair the leak. Also is the solder joint leaking or the shutoff itself. If it is just the joint you may be able to clean it up and resolder but if the shutoff is leaking it is best to replace it.

Moving the water heater may involve working with the gas line so unless your son is comfortable with doing gas line work it may be better to call someone. If you are doing the work yourself just make sure there are no gas leaks once the work has been completed - it may be possible to rent an NG detector to do the work.

I any case it is not advisable to leave it leaking like this - particularly if it is soaking into the drywall - mold love damp drywall.