How to get the old diverter valve out? And replacement "trimguard"

Old 07-16-06, 11:19 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: VA Beach
Posts: 25
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to get the old diverter valve out? And replacement "trimguard"

Ok gurus,

I have a delta tub/shower combo, the classic kind with a single handle. The shower diverter has broken and the "plunger" that you push in shot out into the shower.

I took the part to the real plumbing store and he had the right part befor I finished telling him what it was (NICE!). Last night I pulled off the face place and removed the "thinwall mounting bracket" or plastergaurd assembly (I had to break it off in small parts since the PO had caulked and mudded it to everything. I tried to get it off in one part for an hour and finally broke it off slowly with pliers.

Now I'm looking at the diverter valve but I don't have a tool to get it off. I've tried every deepwell socket and none are the right size or deep enough. I took the new valve (it's slightly larger at the "nut" used to hold it to the assembly) to sears and picked up a 7/8" deep well socket to try since it fit the new one nicely. No good, won't fit the old one.

So, do I need a stem socket set? Am I making this harder than it should be.

In addition, do they sell the plastergaurd seperately? Will I be able to pick it up by itself or am I screwed there? Any harm in not replacing it?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by infromsea; 07-16-06 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Spelling fix
Old 07-16-06, 05:14 PM
DaVeBoy's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,565
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You can buy a deep well, as you call them, set of 5 sockets x 2 (one size on each end) These are used to extract the valve stem from through the wall tub/shower mixer valves. These sockets have no base, per say, to stymie you on length. You should be able to buy them at plumbing store or maybe big box store.

As far as the plaster ring goes? Why did you have to break that? But regardless; you did, Those often serve a double purpose of positioning the mixer in the wall cavity to the right forward position, and holding the mixer behind the wall so that it can't be pulled toward you? Now that it is gone, there is a chance, unless you are lucky that the piping is secured to the studs behind the wall, that the whole mixer can be pulled toward you. (The chrome trim plate you unscrewed keeps the mixer from going the problem only is in the ability of the mixer to be pulled forward.) If that is the case, you are going to have to get creative with trying to screw in place something...wedge wood in there?... to keep the mixer from moving... or by use with Goop adhesive or silicone caulk

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: