Outdoor faucet: moving location from foundation to fence, need ideas

Old 07-19-06, 02:13 PM
BeagleBoy
Visiting Guest
Question Outdoor faucet: moving location from foundation to fence, need ideas

Sorry for the strange title, couldn't think of a better way to describe this strange scenario. Have an existing outdoor faucet located very close to one of two split system heat pump's outdoor compressor. There is a 2' high fence surrounding the outdoor units in a U-shape, open on the house foundation side. The existing faucet is the standard outdoor type and juts out from the house foundation.

Need to move the faucet from the present location to install another split system heat pump outdoor compressor. Would like to move it to the 2' high fence and mount it to one of the posts. Problem is that the pipe will now be outside and subject to freezing.

Would the best solution be to install a levered cut-off inline valve at the foundation wall, then run styrofoam insulated copper pipe (or other type) to a mounting point on the post and install the faucet at that new location? This would permit me to turn off the pipe during the winter to prevent bursting when a freeze hits. Central Virginia location.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-06, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I cannot see the installation so I am guessing here. If there is no way to move the line from inside the house (crawlspace/basement) I am assuming that it is not freezing now. Do you have a "frost-free" faucet now? It could just be the heat from the house keeping it from freezing. Running piping out into the elements will change this. Please let us know what the situation is and we will help as best we can. Good luck.