Venting Question (DWV)

Old 07-21-06, 06:09 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Venting Question (DWV)

we have a new house and all the rough plumbing has been done.
we are about to start doing the finishing work, hooking up the shower drain, bathroom sinks and kitchen sink/dishwasher.

i happen to catch a show on last week that mentions that each sink needs to be vented and this helps with the flow, not the smell.

now it doesnt appear that our rough plumbing is setup with venting for each sink, but we know that there is a vent in the basement by the washer dryer.

is it possible that this vent is serving the whole system? or does every sink need a seperate vent?

Old 07-21-06, 10:47 AM
U
The short answer is yes, every sink should have a vent. There are exceptions of course, like a two sinks draining into the same stack, with a common vent.

The purpose of the vent is to aid with the flow, but also to keep the water draining down from one fixture pulling the water out of the trap from another fixture. Water falling down the stack will pull the air behind it, which can come from the vent, or without the vent, can come from another drain, pulling water out of the trap in that drain. That's what allows the smell to invade your home.

If you are to the point of finishing touches in your new home, the walls have been closed in. You won't see the pipes for the venting unless you look in the attic and where they exit the house. They could be consolidated into a single vent, once they are above the highest drain. You should ask whoever did your rough plumbing.

Assuming you live in an area that enforces building codes, the inspector would have probably raised the issue before now if there were not proper vents. They most probably would have checked that out during your "plumbing rough-in" inspection during the earlier construction.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-21-06, 05:14 PM
T
we dont have inspections in quebec, gotta love it!!

well we have to open the wall in the bathroom anyway, so by opening it we should see if there is a pipe going up right? if there is no pipe then i put one of those little gadget vent the guy at home depot sold us?

in the kitchen its an island, so its obvious there is no vent, so i can use another one of these little gadget?

what about the shower does that need a vent?

Old 07-22-06, 05:31 AM
T
i thought i would just post a bit more info.

we checked the 2 sinks downstairs and both are vented.

how do they usualy properly vent an island sink?

Old 07-22-06, 10:07 AM
T
This is for the kitchen island sink. The piping downstairs is 2.5" which we reduced to 2" after the 90 degree elbow where it goes through the floor into the cabinets. So our only option at this point is to use the gadget vent thing?

Old 07-22-06, 02:07 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The vent "thingy" you are speaking of is an Air Admittance Valve. They are made by a couple companies, mainly Studor. Your shower probably has a vent installed correctly since you found the other house vents were installed. There is another method for venting an island sink but it is complicated and as long as you can use an AAV, go for it. Good luck with your project.

Old 07-22-06, 03:40 PM
T
hey great for all the help.
yeah im sure the shower is done too as when we opened the wall a little in the bathroom for the sinks, we found a pipe going up.

so we will install that aav for the island.

Old 07-24-06, 12:39 PM
T
Are these Air Admittance Valves used regularly? Or is it more of a last resort item? One of those would make my life a whole lot easier.

Old 07-24-06, 02:17 PM
Toph,
Some codes allow them, some don't. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. Problem would be that if they are not code where you live, and you decide to sell, an inspector would catch it easily and you would have to change it. They are legal in a lot of areas though. Good luck.

Old 07-24-06, 08:02 PM
T
Thanks! It certainly seems like something worth looking into.

Old 07-28-06, 06:04 AM
T
as far as i know aav are not legal in quebec so it might be pretty friggin hard to find one at home depot. I know for sure that they are not code legal in ontario.

Old 07-28-06, 03:04 PM
In reference to thePlumbers response. The problem is that the Home Centers often sell items that are not Code even in the area they are in. This is what makes homeowners do illegal things. I always try to tell members to check LOCAL codes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: