Leaky outdoor spigot

Old 07-26-06, 11:46 AM
dmm58
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Leaky outdoor spigot

I have a leaky outdoor spigot that I need help fixing. Replacing the entire spigot seemed like a very complicated process, particularly since the pipes are behind the walls. I decided to cap the faucet for now, but once I put a cap on the faucet, water started leaking out from the knob. I took the knob off, cleaned it up, and replaced the rusted screw that was connecting it to the faucet, but water is still leaking from the knob. Do you have any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-06, 12:50 PM
Chances are your leaking handle is really a leak at the stem. Since you capped the faucet (assume hose cap on the spigot), the water leaking past the faucet washer is looking for a new way out - and found it between the packing nut and the stem. You might be able to stop this new leak by tightening the packing nut (the one below the handle with the stem sticking through it). Before you attempt this, look inside for a shut-off for this faucet - there should be one, but there isn't always.

If you find one, shut off the faucet there, and take off the cap. If you live in a cold part of the country, the water in the faucet could freeze, split the faucet, and leave you with a big wet cold mess.

If you don't find one, be prepared to shut off the whole house at your main supply - in case you get carried away tightening and bust the faucet.

Once you have a way to shut off the water to that faucet, I would abandon the cap idea, and try to fix the original leak.