Water Hammer Arestor or Air Chamber

Old 07-26-06, 06:18 PM
Y
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water Hammer Arestor or Air Chamber

My shower plumbing connection have air chamber on hot and cold water line. This is just made by using 1/2" copper pipe capped at the end.

While doing the tiliing work in the shower, I was wondering if I should replace air chamber by water hammer arestor.

Which is better - water hammer arestor or air chamber?

This plumbing location is inside the wall, so I won't have an easy access to the plumbing, if required (unless I cut dry wall).

After talking to home depot guy, he said that over period of time air chamber gets filled with water as air desolves in water. It is also bad becuase it can develop water pockets where bacteria can grow.

But on the flip side it is very easy drain water and fill chamber with air. Does water hammer arestor (one with O-rinigs and piston) looses air? If it does, then it probably would need to be replaced, but won;t have an easy access to replace them.

Any ideas?

Old 07-26-06, 08:22 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I like to make air chambers from either 3/4 or 1 inch tubing, about two to three feet long. It will take a good long time for those suckers to have their air dissolved. If that ever were to happen then I just valve off the branch line (or if necessary the entire house) open the faucet and let it all drain out. Close the faucet and open the water supply and I'm good for another ten years.

Old 07-28-06, 11:12 AM
Y
Did you ever had any issues with bacteria due to stagnent water in those air chambers giving bad taste to the water?

Old 07-28-06, 04:26 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Nope. All my houses have been on city water. It may be possible that some private well waters would have bacterial issues.

Old 07-29-06, 02:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
This is why there are plumbing codes that protect public health (even the MAX. size of air chambers is listed). Bigger isn't always better.

You would have to check your local codes but many do allow mechanical, piston type water hammer arrestors inside walls.

Old 07-30-06, 09:57 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
I used to live in a house that had two sets and they were exposed. One in the laundry room another in the upstaris bath. THese had little 1/4 turn valves on the top with a little nipple, looked like something out of a chemistry lab. The valves didnt have a handle, just a little flat block you could put a wrench on. They looked great polished up and a lot of people who visited asked about them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: