Odor in 1 bathroom only

Old 01-19-07, 10:58 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Odor in 1 bathroom only

Hiya.... We are at our wits end! We bought this house 2 years ago. 3 months later we replaced all of the fresh water pipe with copper and replaced the hotwater heater with gas. We live in the country. We have a well and on septic. The house was built in 1939. It has 2 bathrooms. The main bathroom has an odor that comes and goes. The first time was about 6 months after we moved in. We replaced the toilet and wax ring..... twice! That did not fix it. The smell was not coming out of the sewer hole. Now, about every 6 months we get this "dead" smell NOT sulfer/rotten eggs. It is not outside the bathroom or under the house. What could it be? HELP!

Old 01-19-07, 11:22 AM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
Just guessing here, but I'd try and check all the drain traps on the sink and tub/shower and see if any are losing water at some point and allowing sewer gas out. The wax seal would have been my first guess too.

Old 01-19-07, 12:02 PM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Odor in 1 bathroom

Thank you for your thoughts..... I sniffed the drains, and nothing. I'd have to go under the house for the bath.....

Old 01-19-07, 12:10 PM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
whims, what I meant was next time you notice the smell check those locations - the tub can be checked by just sniffing the drain. Sometimes, if the venting is marginal on a drain they can syphon themselves when they are draining to a point where the trap is too low to maintain the seal. Maybe wind, a toiler flush when it is almost all drained... who knows? If that is what's ahppening, then it corrects the seal the next time any water gets drained through the trap.

Just a theory...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: