Bathroom Leak (Wet Drywall)

Old 07-29-06, 11:10 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Leak (Wet Drywall)

This afternoon, I noticed that the wall between the first floor bathroom and living room was wet. There were stains along both the top and bottom seams of the drywall section with the bottom wet. The drain and supply for the second floor run in this wall. No leak is obvious when viewing up the pipe chase from the basement.
My girlfriend did notice that the water level in the second floor toilet bowl drops about an inch or so fairly quickly after being flushed, then stabilizes. Wax ring? Maybe, but the toilet is stable and there is not water on that bathroom floor.
Should I just replace the wax ring and see if that fixes the problem? So far the drywall is still in good shape so I'd prefer not to tear it out if it's not necessary.
She did dry the wall with a blow dryer yet the bottom seam is again wet.
Suggestions?

Old 07-30-06, 05:13 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
newhartnotvila, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Since the water level in the bowl is dropping and then stabilizing, I would think there is a crack in the bowl allowing water to seep (or squirt) out. Since you will be removing the toilet to install a new wax seal, clean the bottom of the bowl and check very close for any cracks in the porcelain. You can also take the bowl outside, set on a raised surface (couple concrete blocks) and slowly add water to see if that would show the leak.Good luck.

Old 07-31-06, 10:54 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi newhartnotvila,

Did you check the sealing around your shower / bath tub? You would be surprised how much water can escape through a smallish defect near the shower.

URL removed from signature. No advertising of any type allowed in message body or signature.

Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBER; 08-01-06 at 08:25 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: