soap bubbles coming out of air gap

Old 08-05-06, 03:06 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
soap bubbles coming out of air gap

We replaced a garbage disposal. There is an air gap and the diswasher drains ok. But when we hand wash dishes for about 15 minutes, soap bubbles come out of the air gap. The air gap is new so it should not be clogged.

Can anyone suggest what else to check?
Thanks.

Old 08-05-06, 02:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How fast do your sink basins drain? From my memory, I think most standard ones can drain out both sides in about 30 seconds if there is no downstream restrictions in the drain pipe.

It seems as if you have positive pressure or a wind inside your drain pipe. Let's say once that your drain pipe was positively charged due to some venting problem. If so, you would think soap bubbles would also come up badly from the second sink basin next to it. Does it? I think most sinks will do this, with soap suds, even if there is no problem. But this is relative to what one has observed as the norm.

Old 08-05-06, 05:51 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What make & model disposal did you install? Did the soap suds at the air gap start right after you installed it?

Old 08-06-06, 12:59 PM
H
There is only one sink and the suds do not come up too much and only after I am hand washing dishes for about 15 minutes. The dishwasher drains fine with no suds or overflow.

I don't know how well the drain was before since I replaced it soon after buying the condo.

The garbage disposal in an IN SINK Areator badger 5 1/2 hp.

Thanks for both your replies.

Old 08-06-06, 01:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I had the neighbor kids do my dishes for me and they filled up both sides with suds to the top and after they left I couldn't get rid of the suds, as it just kept making more!... so I scooped them out with a frying pan and threw them outside. Then they knocked on my door to tel me I had a mound of soap suds outside.

Old 08-07-06, 09:32 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I generally like ISE products. But they have apparently had to 'adjust' to changing times like everyone else. The Badger 5 doesn't use a stainless steel grinding plate, it's galvanized (mine rusted after a couple of years). To get an SS grinding plate, you have to move up to the 444 model. To get one with an 1" round full-bore outlet, you have to move up to the 555. I had the same problem, snaked the drain, still had it, and removed the disposal - that fixed it.

Old 08-14-06, 10:26 PM
H
Thanks for the info. I guess I will live with a little sud and will eventually snake the drain pipes.

Thanks.
Hoang

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: