Hot water from "Cold" faucet??

Old 08-05-06, 07:07 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot water from "Cold" faucet??

Lately, when I turn on a Cold faucet in any bathroom or in the kitchen, the water runs cold for about 3 seconds, then turns to warm/hot for another 3 or 4 seconds before again turning cold.

What could cause this? Thanks in advance!

Old 08-05-06, 07:27 PM
M
Do you have maybe a hot water recirculation system where it allow you to have instant hot water at any hot water faucet? Some of those systems use the cold water as return lines, leaving hot water in them for a while, so instead of waiting for the hot water to get to the faucet you are waiting on the cold water...

Is it at one fixture only? May be a mixing valve leaking by.

Old 08-05-06, 08:23 PM
P
Thanks for your reply.

No, I do not have any instant hot water system anywhere. This cold/hot/cold thing is happening on all my faucets - 3 bathroom and 1 kitchen AND the water in my basement toilet tank was hot too!

Old 08-06-06, 12:09 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What mdtaylor was refering to was a method of piping the hot water to get fast delivery. It could be piped that way & you're not aware of it; it's done when the water heater is far away from the fixtures. This method usually includes a check-valve, and that could be the problem. A plumber - on-site - should be able to diagnose it.

Old 08-06-06, 12:27 AM
U
Are you in Arizona? I am. I get cold for a few seconds, then warm, very warm, even shower temperature for quite some time. Then finally some cooler water. The cold is the amount of water in the piping that is inside the air conditioned house. the warm is the amount in the pipes that come into the house from the water meter. Once all that is gone, I get some that is a bit cooler from the main pipe that feeds me and my neighbors, that pipe is buried a bit deeper into the ground.

Old 08-06-06, 05:10 AM
You may also have a bad faucet that is allowing hot water to cross over. A bad washer or cartridge can allow this to happen. It may take a little time, but you could shut off the hot water supply valve (one at a time) at each sink and try using the cold water. Leave about an hour between each test to make sure you haven't merely "used" all the hot water in the line. Good luck.

Old 08-06-06, 09:05 AM
P
Thank you all.

A bad faucet is possible (the water here corrodes badly) since I've changed 3 of them so far, but have 2 yet to do.

Old 08-06-06, 12:31 PM
P
Okay, this is very humiliating, but I'm posting it in case someone else has this problem.

I gave my dog a bath in a panic a few weeks ago after she got skunked. I have the shower attachment with hose and sprayer. After I got her out of the tub, I forgot to turn the faucets off and I never use that tub myself. Since no water was running, I didn't realize it was on.

My brother just came and tracked it down in about 4 minutes.

Boy, did I feel stupid.

Old 08-06-06, 12:36 PM
All's well that ends well. Glad you found the problem and thanks for letting us know what caused it.

Old 08-05-10, 05:44 AM
M
Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
Are you in Arizona? I am. I get cold for a few seconds, then warm, very warm, even shower temperature for quite some time. Then finally some cooler water. The cold is the amount of water in the piping that is inside the air conditioned house. the warm is the amount in the pipes that come into the house from the water meter. Once all that is gone, I get some that is a bit cooler from the main pipe that feeds me and my neighbors, that pipe is buried a bit deeper into the ground.
I recently moved to Arizona and had a similar problem.

1. When I turned up the water heater high enough so that my dish washer would become effective.. we started to get very hot water even on the cold faucets and in the showers.
2. I found these "T"s under each sink. Hot water into the left and up on the left, Cold water on the right and up on the right.. then lines went up to the faucets.
3. Taking them apart and looking at them.. it ends up if the water got "too hot" it would release pressure and hot water into the cold water side of the T.
4. This was not only causing the cold water lines in the faucets to become HOT, but it was backfeeding into the entire cold water line so even the showers were crazy hot.
5. I removed all the "T"s and now we have no problems. We have cold on the cold side, and hot on the hot side.

I have recently moved to Arizona so I don't know if this is a State Code issue or what.. but it was utterly stupid. A built in cross connection at every sink; rather than a pressure relief at the water heater.
It has a relief at the water heater also.
Guys at work say that most water lines here in Arizona go up the walls, through the attic and then down to the sinks/showers, etc. I suppose the problem of going through the attic is that it gets nearly boiling (even cold water side) before it gets to the sinks in the house.. thus a 'relief' for heat is needed at every sink in the house.. makes since.. but I disabled them (rental house) and will put them back together whenever we leave.

For now... we have hot enough water to wash the dishes and clothes.. and still retain cold water on the cold water side.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: