strange dishwasher drain that the builder did

Old 08-05-06, 06:30 PM
C
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
strange dishwasher drain that the builder did

Pictures are below and the said plumbing has a red rectangle around it.

Today I replaced my dishwasher. Since this house was built the rubber dishwasher tubing fitting was stuffed into the fitting shown in the pics below. When I went to change the dishwasher tubing I did the same thing and put duct tape around it just like them.

I would like to fix this situation and make it proper. Is there a fitting that glues onto the pvc pipe to correct this? I have a disposal and know I can plug it into that but I dont want this lone black pipe just hanging around.

http://www.silvercas.com/drop/dishwasher/dish1.jpg

http://www.silvercas.com/drop/dishwasher/dish2.jpg

Old 08-05-06, 07:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
They do make a dishwasher tee that goes into the drainline before the trap. With your set-up, it would be really hard to install. The current pipe for the dishwasher is kind of hard to see in the pics due to the drop pipe from the sink. Does it have a trap installed that cannot be seen? If so, it is not proper because it can be sucked out when water is run down the sink. Please reply and let us know what the DW line goes into.

Old 08-05-06, 07:58 PM
C
Originally Posted by majakdragon
They do make a dishwasher tee that goes into the drainline before the trap. With your set-up, it would be really hard to install. The current pipe for the dishwasher is kind of hard to see in the pics due to the drop pipe from the sink. Does it have a trap installed that cannot be seen? If so, it is not proper because it can be sucked out when water is run down the sink. Please reply and let us know what the DW line goes into.
yes there is a trap that isnt seen. same trap that is on the sink.

heres another pic to clarify
http://www.silvercas.com/drop/dishwasher/dish3.jpg

Last edited by caster; 08-05-06 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-05-06, 10:47 PM
I doubt that a plumber did this. The disposal drops into a bathtub waste & overflow tee, and in most places, 2 traps on 1 drain are not allowed.

The DW could drain into the disposal (there's a knockout that you have to remove). You would route the DW drain as high as possible, which it looks like it already does, then either into the disposal or through an air gap, which is required in some areas. You could then remove the extra p-trap & glue a clean-out there. Or you could just remove the bushing (the thing covered with white teflon tape) & screw an 1½" ABS plug into it.

Also, note that the disposal should not be wired with romex, it should have an appliance cord that plugs into an outlet, a disconnect.

On the bright side, the waste & overflow tee will probably last a long time.

Old 08-06-06, 04:28 AM
caster, thanks for the quick picture. The trap for the DW is an illegal connection for the reason Steve mentioned and the ability of the trap being sucked out. His solution is most likely the fastest and best. I guess local codes vary on the electrical. Every DW I have installed was hardwired.

Old 08-06-06, 06:30 AM
C
Originally Posted by steve_gro
I doubt that a plumber did this. The disposal drops into a bathtub waste & overflow tee, and in most places, 2 traps on 1 drain are not allowed.

The DW could drain into the disposal (there's a knockout that you have to remove). You would route the DW drain as high as possible, which it looks like it already does, then either into the disposal or through an air gap, which is required in some areas. You could then remove the extra p-trap & glue a clean-out there. Or you could just remove the bushing (the thing covered with white teflon tape) & screw an 1" ABS plug into it.

Also, note that the disposal should not be wired with romex, it should have an appliance cord that plugs into an outlet, a disconnect.

On the bright side, the waste & overflow tee will probably last a long time.
I had in mind this is what I was going to have to do with the DW!

As for the disposal, they passed inspection with that 9 years ago. Hmmm

Old 08-06-06, 11:28 AM
I should probably stick to the plumbing side of things...

Old 08-06-06, 11:43 AM
Steve, Don't beat yourself up. Local codes vary so much that you can find about anything you can imagine. I just know that in the 3 States I have installed DW's and disposers, none have had cords or outlets behind them to plug them into.

Last edited by majakdragon; 08-06-06 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-06-06, 02:29 PM
nap
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
NEC 2005 422.16(B)

garbage disposals are permitted ( not required) to be cord and plug connected

1. with a grounded plug, unless the disposal is double insulated
2.the cord is no less than 18 inches nor more than 36 inches
3.receps shall be located to avoid damage to the flexible cord
4.the receptacle shall be accessible.

-----------

the switch for the unit is considered to be a disconnect and unless it is in another room, is legally acceptable as such.
---------------------
The only thing I found that may dissalow the use as seen is that romex must be connected and supported within 12 inches of an outlet box except for a luminaire or other equipment as long as it is in an accessible cieling which this is obviously not within a ceiling.

This installation "by the book" would probably be illegal but is very close to being acceptable. Simply tagging the romex to a support within 12 inches of the grinder should bring it compliant.

Old 08-06-06, 02:52 PM
Nap, what you read is one of those "we got off track from the original question" things. The problem is the double trap/standpipe drain and proper connection of the DW drain.

Old 08-06-06, 03:16 PM
nap
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by majakdragon
Nap, what you read is one of those "we got off track from the original question" things. The problem is the double trap/standpipe drain and proper connection of the DW drain.

I know but you guys already had that part handled.

It's wrong and illegal and needs to be fixed. I would run it into the disposal (the one with the romex hooked to it. )

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: