Shower drain PVC to Terra Cotta

Old 08-06-06, 05:06 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower drain PVC to Terra Cotta

I have added a shower to a 1/2 bath in the basement and my only issue is as follows:

the drain for the tub is PVC, simple to work with. The issue arises where the PVC will meet up with the main pipe. the main waste pipe transitions from Steel to Terra Cotta. Where i need to connect is with in the Terra Catta midway with in a section.

Is it possible to cut the Terra Cotta and connect the PVC using a rubber wye boot?

Any suggestions are greatly appriciated at this point.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-06, 05:37 AM
It's hard to cut old clay tile pipe without causing other problems. You use a soil pipe cutter (rent one at a rent-all shop or big box store).

If you can find a rubber wye boot made by someone like Fernco, yeah, you can use that. Most likely you will use a PVC wye with short PVC nipples glued in place. Then use properly sized standard Fernco boots for connecting all three pipes together.

Good luck with your cuts and remember the tile breaks easier than it looks when under pressure from the cutting.

Old 08-07-06, 04:04 PM
S
I would rather not sever the pipe unless it is the only means. is it possible to remove a small section? i know that clay is very sensitive with preasure when cutting so i was thinking of pissibly using a 1/8 or 1/4inch mason bit on a drill(no hammer) and letting it ease thru in several points and then a diamond wheel on a hand grinder(staying with in the manufacture's directions) and going at t that way.

or should i just bread down ad sever the whole pipe and go at it with a new piece call together?

trying to keep the down time to a minimal as possable yet as make a lasting connection.

Old 06-15-08, 03:47 PM
S
use an angle grinder with a masonry blade to cut the terra cotta pipt

I know that this thread is 3 years old but I was trying to figure out how to do this and couldn't find much other information anywhere.

A diamond blade on a 3-1/2" angle grinder just made a quick, clean cut for me in a roughly 80 year old 6" terra cotta pipe (with no pre-drilling). With a very small margin around the pipe, you can cut sort of a "cap" out of the top, then cut the rest of the way around from the inside.

I have a feeling that if the pipe isn't firmly seated in the ground along its length it may cause vibration that is undesirable.