replacing water shut off valve

Old 08-08-06, 01:46 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
replacing water shut off valve

Hello, I am replacing a compression type water shut off valve to a toilet. I have removed the old valve except for the ferrule and nut on the copper supply pipe. The ferrule is stuck to the pipe so I can't remove it or the nut. I would like to replace them with new but don't know how to remove the old. Is there a special tool to pull it off? I have thought of cutting the pipe but I don't think I would have enough left for the new valve (I also can't access do to the old nut being in the way). Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-06, 01:58 PM
surfdougie, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
You didn't say why you were replacing the valve. If it is just hard to close, you may want to try cleaning it out. If there is a name on the valve, try finding the same brand valve as what you have. Look carefully at the ferrule. Some are just rounded and some have a flat area between the ends. make sure the new valve has the same type. The ferrule bites into the pipe so if you cannot cut the pipe to replace it, getting the ferrule off will leave you with the same problem. Good luck.

Old 08-08-06, 03:50 PM
S
I am replacing the valve because the water supply tube from the valve to the toilet is leaking and it is hard connected to the valve, also it is old. If I find the same brand/type valve/ferrule can I connect it using the existing nut and ferrule that I am unable to remove?

Old 08-08-06, 04:08 PM
This is why I suggested finding the name of the valve. Your choices are limited otherwise. You may end up cutting off the valve and sweating (presuming copper) an extension piece to have room to get another valve on.

Old 08-08-06, 04:19 PM
S
Thanks Dragon

Old 08-09-06, 02:46 PM
W
Received 11 Votes on 9 Posts
Hi They make a tool to pull the ferrel and nut about 15.00.
I would suggest before you remove the ferrel take the new nut and try it on the old valve if the threads match then you know the old nut will fit the new valve.Install te new valve on the old ferrel and nut and check for leaks.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 08-28-08, 11:22 PM
B
Red face Replacing water valves thruout the house.

All of my water valves are old and one has already broken when I tried to shut it off when replacing a sink. I had to call a Plumber and and he hit me hard. $365.00 I bought a tool that looks like a sterring wheel puller for pulling out the ferule. Do I hold the nut with a cresent wrench while using this tool? It looks like to long fingers with curved edges for grasping the back nut at the wall, and a single twist screw T-Handle as an extracter, with a small round metal slip on spacer. One side of the spacer is larger then the other end. How do I apply this tool so it does it's job. I want new valves and get rid of all the bent water lines with new flexable ones. I'm just not certain how to use this tool, and don't want to make a mistake in it's proper function. Thank you all.

Old 08-29-08, 03:42 PM
W
Received 11 Votes on 9 Posts
Hi, I hope I can explane this. The legs of the puller fit behind the nut, the spacer fits on the end of the pipe the small end inside the pipe. The end of the screw fits in the center of the spacer. Turn the T handle and remove the unit. Maybe spray some WD 40 to make it come off easier.
Another thing yu can do is don't remove the old nut and ferrel, just remove the old valve and install the new one with the old nut and ferrel. Make sure the threads are the same. To check put the new nut on the old vave if it fits you're good to go.
Good Luck Woodbutcher