Water hydrant/frostline

Old 08-09-06, 08:50 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water hydrant/frostline

Hello All,

I am finally getting my garage finished and I am putting a water line in it this week before the floor is poured. I am using a
6ft. hand lever hydrant style setup for water into the garage. I will run it off a "T" splice from my well casing where my house water line is. I was told the hydrant style setup will work well b/c I will have appropriate pressure in the well line to the house which will also provide pressure via the "T" link/water line into the garage.

Here are my questions:
1) Is the hydrant style faucet a good choice and what are some details I should know about it that I might not already?

2) The installation guide states that the hydrant pipe should go into the ground approx. 4ft. with 2ft. (26" to be exact) showing to allow optimal operation and insure that the water release valve is below the frostline. What is the frostline in central PA? Right now my hole is 40" from the bottom of the hole to the bottom of where my concrete floor will be. Therefore I will have about 5 inches of concrete above my 40" mark as it stands now. Do I really have to go down the full 4ft. or will my 3.5 be sufficient?

3) What is the best way to use the hydrant as far as hooking up a utility sink? Should I simply hook a flexible water line from the hydrant faucet to the faucet in the sink? I don't need anything fancy.

Thanks everyone. I wanted to ask b/c I'm nervous about not being down far enough and I don't want to have any frozen pipe problems. The garage is a steel roof/siding pole barn style building and is not insulated right now. I will have a heat source (wood stove) in it but it's only going to run when I'm working in there. At least that's the setup for now.

iamhistory

Old 08-10-06, 08:38 AM
Yard hydrant

You have to check with the local code office. Where I live, the NE, thay are not legal. If you are running a water line into the garage, just stub up a line and make your connections after the slab is poured. Get rid of the hydrant idea. Yard hydrants should be outside of any building; Local code. Luck.

Old 08-11-06, 06:28 PM
I
Originally Posted by shacko
You have to check with the local code office. Where I live, the NE, thay are not legal. If you are running a water line into the garage, just stub up a line and make your connections after the slab is poured. Get rid of the hydrant idea. Yard hydrants should be outside of any building; Local code. Luck.
Why are hydrants inside illegal according to code? I don't see the difference between turning on a faucet or lifting a lever........also, the hydrant drains when off and should be more effective against freezing pipes (theorectically).

What's the reasoning behind the code?

Old 08-12-06, 07:36 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Checking local codes is always best. Many have good reasons for allowing/disallowing certain systems. I would worry about your hose hook-up because the hose will not drain when you shut the hydrant off and it will freeze. Another thing to think about is what if the hydrant goes bad. Then you are chopping up concrete to repair/replace.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: