cpvc

Old 08-10-06, 01:05 PM
P
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
cpvc

Someone replaced a cold water shut off fitting with the type that has a cpvc lining which you cement on instead of a compression fitting. Trouble is I need to replace the fitting as I'm replacing the vanity and they only left me about 5/8" or 3/4" at the most before I'm at the wall.
Is it ok to cut the fitting off then apply the cleaner and the cement for a coupling to extend the pipe?
Also, how long is it reasonable to wait to turn the water on-The reason I ask is I have a finished basement and have to shut off the house water-I've read people say two hours is what they do and others who say 12 hours is necessary. Thank you

Old 08-10-06, 01:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
As long as you have room, use the coupling. I know they say to allow 12 hours for the glue. If you buy a quality glue (Oateys etc) you can go 2 hours. By not using the water to that valve, you will have an air space (no water) and it will cure more until you use it. Good luck.

Old 08-10-06, 02:14 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My house originally required shutting off the pump to work on anything. When ever I did any plumbing I always put a valve in so I could shut down just that section. While you have the water off . . .

Old 08-11-06, 09:26 AM
P
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
cpvc

Originally Posted by majakdragon
As long as you have room, use the coupling. I know they say to allow 12 hours for the glue. If you buy a quality glue (Oateys etc) you can go 2 hours. By not using the water to that valve, you will have an air space (no water) and it will cure more until you use it. Good luck.
Thanx for the information, it helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: