gas pipe question

Old 08-13-06, 06:47 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
gas pipe question

Hi .. i have recently purchased an old house and noticed that when i open the gas valve, a lot of rust comes out of the pipe .. non of the gas appliances have been installed yet (they are on order) .. I opened the valve for the stove more than 20 times throughout the day (about 10 sec each time) .. and the rust dosn't seem to get any less .. Does this have anything to do with the fact that the has has been vacant for more than 2 years and no one has used it? is it normal? should i keep running it until the dust stops or is it time for new pipes? .. i have never heard anyone changing gas pipes inside the house .. any suggestions?

Old 08-15-06, 03:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Black iron will rust if left for a period of time with any moisture in it. Be careful opening and closing the valve, as you are releasing an explosive gas each time. Although you could probably change out the piping yourself, I would call in a second opinion, since they will be better able to asess your situation, and offer professional advice. You don't want a house full of gas from a bad joint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: