How do I tap into PVC sewer line to install new drain?

Old 08-14-06, 06:26 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How do I tap into PVC sewer line to install new drain?

I知 new to the forum so I hope I posted in the correct area.

I知 planning on moving my daughter痴 washer and dryer to their basement.

Their house is about five years old. All the plumbing is PVC including the sewer piping.

I値l need to install a drain line into the PVC sewer line for the washer machine.

There doesn稚 appear to be any flexibility in the PVC sewer line so I知 concerned about cutting the pipe to install a Y fitting or is there a saddle type fitting similar to what is used on the old cast iron pipe?

Thanks for the fed back.

Jim

Old 08-14-06, 04:21 PM
There is a saddle made but the problem is that many codes outlaw this type of connection.

You can cut a wye in. Glue a short nipple on the top and bottom of the wye. Use a coupler and glue the bottom joint and use a fernco for the top connection.

Good luck with your project...

Old 08-15-06, 03:28 AM
Good mornng, Notuboo,

Thanks for the fed back.

I'm be starting the project in a coplue weeks and let you know how I make out.

Thanks again

Jim

Last edited by DIYaddict; 08-15-06 at 05:53 AM. Reason: removed quote as it's unnecessary
Old 08-15-06, 09:15 PM
J
Ive never done this but I have seen it done. If you know of someone who has a lathe you can modify the Y so the pipe will slip all the way through making it easy to get on the pipe. I dont have a clue how you would glue it up. I remeber them doing it when I use to work in a plant that made silk screened hats and shirts about 35 years ago as a broom pusher. maybe some epoxy instead of PVC glue would work. I know one of the guys who came up with the fix was an engineer. One of the plans he had was to drill a bunch of holes in the rim of the Y put the pipe in place and applying glue through the holes then give the pipe a twist. I wasnt there when they actually installed it so I dont know if this is what they did or not. I do know that they modified the Ys as stated.

I would glue some short stubs in the Y and use the rubber couplings to splice it in. I think you can only use these where you can have access to them

Old 08-19-06, 08:59 AM
Exclamation

One note: PLEASE do not use a saddle for this connection! We bought a house where previous owner did a lot of "bad homeowner plumbing" He installed a saddle on the pvc sewer pipe, somewhere they are being sold. And yes, it is "outlawed" in our area to do this - there are safety issues involved. Definately install this ONLY using Y connection. This is on our "to do" list to fix, but what a pain! Your daughter will appriciate your installation when it/if comes time to sell her home that it was done right!

Old 08-19-06, 07:05 PM
Thumbs up Follow-up to tapping into sewer line

Good evening, Nutoboo,

First I want to thank you for your input. It gave me the confidence to proceed with the project.

Well I intsalled the washer in the basement today.

Cut the sewer line and glued nipples into the wye pipe and installed the rubber couplings.

Had the son-in-law run upstairs and flush both second floor toilets to test for leaks. Yep, you guessed right, water ran all over the basement.

Ran over to the local hardware and explained the problem. The guy was extremely helpful. Turns out the wye I purchased from Lowes was for schedule 40 pipe. The existing sewer line is schedule 30.

Purchased two 30 to 40 adaptors and two 3" Fernco couplings.

That solved the problem.

Once we solved sewer line sizing dilemma everything else went smoothly.

Thanks again for getting me started.

Jim

Old 08-19-06, 07:57 PM
J
Originally Posted by JimmieDee
Ive never done this but I have seen it done. If you know of someone who has a lathe you can modify the Y so the pipe will slip all the way through making it easy to get on the pipe. I dont have a clue how you would glue it up. I remeber them doing it when I use to work in a plant that made silk screened hats and shirts about 35 years ago as a broom pusher. maybe some epoxy instead of PVC glue would work. I know one of the guys who came up with the fix was an engineer. One of the plans he had was to drill a bunch of holes in the rim of the Y put the pipe in place and applying glue through the holes then give the pipe a twist. I wasnt there when they actually installed it so I dont know if this is what they did or not. I do know that they modified the Ys as stated.

I would glue some short stubs in the Y and use the rubber couplings to splice it in. I think you can only use these where you can have access to them
I had forgotten that my brother worked in the same plant at the time. He says they cut the Y lengthways and snapped it over the pipe after cutting a hole in the pipe. A DIY saddle??

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: