washer drain back up

Old 08-20-06, 08:26 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
washer drain back up

I recently replaced my laundry sink. I didn't change a thing with the pipes, only replacing the tub. Everything worked fine prior to this. The washer drain hose is connected to a pvc pipe that runs up and off the laundry tub p pipe. The sink drains fine, no leaks. But when the washer drains the pipe overflows. I'm heading out to buy a snake and give it a good clean....any other thoughts?

Old 08-20-06, 08:38 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Your washer drain should be 2" to handle the velocity/volume of water that the washer puts out. Washer water also contains lots of lint. If the sink was disconnected for a period of time while you were changing it out, the lint may have dried out and is causing a clog. Snake probably won't do much besides make a small hole that will seal back up when you withdraw the snake. I would suggest using an enzyme drain cleaner such as Draincare by Zep. There are other brands. Enzyme cleaners cling to and eat organic clogs. Takes at least 6 hours so it is best to use before going to bed so it has the proper amount of time to work. Follow all label directions. Good luck.

Old 08-20-06, 12:12 PM
J
HA!!...I bet thats it....I was stuffing the washer drain pipe all the way down the PVC....you guys are the best!!! thanks

Old 08-20-06, 05:17 PM
J
....darn....that didn't work....drain cleaner...............

Last edited by mattison; 08-21-06 at 04:39 AM.
Old 08-26-06, 01:29 PM
J
I feel like such an idiot...the extension from the sink drain was blocking the drain from the washer, I cut it in half and the problem was solved...my wife pointed it out to me....duh!

thanks again for all your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: