Changing out faucets

Old 08-25-06, 05:43 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Changing out faucets

Ok......this is my question. What is the difficulty level in changing out faucets? Both my showers and bathroom sinks have leaky faucets...Is it a huge task, or a small job??????????

Old 08-25-06, 06:43 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Changing out a sink faucet is a small job. Shut off the water supply valves. Disconnect the supply tubes (on the top side of the valves). If the sink has a pop-up stopper, disconnect the rod from the stopper lever (small clip). Remove the nuts that hold the faucet down (may require purchasing a Basin Wrench). Remove the faucet and reverse the order for installation of the new faucet. Shower, now you are talking going into the wall and disconnecting. I would suggest renewing the washers on the end of the valve stems (or the cartridge if it is single handle) ater shutting off the water supply which will probably mean shutting off the whole house. Good luck.

Old 08-25-06, 09:01 PM
M
Ok, Guess I didnt mean the faucets, I need to change the handles. I think.........they all leak. Will changing the handles turn off the leaks?????

Old 08-26-06, 03:47 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Changing the washer on the end of the faucet stem will usually stop leaks. You need to remove the handles (after turning off the water supply) remove the screw that holds the handle on, remove the handle (which can be a pain) and then loosen the packing nut and unscrew the stem. You should see a washer on the end of the stem. Take the stem with you to purchase the washer so you get the proper size. Reverse order to re-install.

Old 08-26-06, 08:57 AM
M
Thanks.......this will be my first DIY project..................

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: