Basement floor drain

Old 08-28-06, 08:29 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Basement floor drain

During remodeling of my laundry room, I found a drain under the framed floor. Basically, the drain is about 6 inches beneath the floor. Can I plug this drain permanently and cover the floor with new tile? The basement has never flooded and the house doesn't have a sump pump.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-06, 12:00 AM
J
Please describe better what you have. Is this a drain in a concrete floor with a wood framed floor above it?

When the drain hose came off my washing machine I would have loved to have had a floor drain in my laundry room. If it were me I would test the drain to see if it works and then connect it to my laundry room. There is also the possibility that if the basement ever floods a backup through this drain may be the source of the flood.

Last edited by twelvepole; 08-29-06 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Quote codes turned off. Quoting entire quote is redundant & distracting. Quote deleted.
Old 08-29-06, 01:10 AM
T
Drain should be plugged if not in use. This will prevent sewer gas in basement should trap in drain go dry. If covered over with flooring, you will not be able to pour water down drain. Plugging drain will prevent backup of water if your city does not have storm sewer separated from waste sewer. Where both storm and waste sewer run in same lines, often during heavy rain the lines can not accommodate all the input and water backs up into basements.

Old 08-29-06, 08:09 AM
R
Basement floor drain

The drain is under the the framed floor,under the subfloor. It is in the concrete, about 4 inches wide. There is some water in it, about two feet down. If I cover it permanently, can water come up and build pressure and crack my foundation, since the pressure has not where to go? Someone suggested that this could happen. Should I just extend the drain up to the new floor? How can I check if it is still a good drain? I don't want water to back up into my house from it but don't want a catastrophe if water pressure builds up. Ideas??

Last edited by Raul Emir; 08-29-06 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-01-06, 12:11 AM
J
I would run water in it and see if it drains properly. If so I would probably extend it to my laundry room floor. As for keeping water in the trap they make a device that meters a small amount of water out everytime it detects a change in water pressure, like when you flush a toilet.

Old 07-18-08, 08:13 AM
M
Originally Posted by twelvepole View Post
Drain should be plugged if not in use. This will prevent sewer gas in basement should trap in drain go dry. If covered over with flooring, you will not be able to pour water down drain. Plugging drain will prevent backup of water if your city does not have storm sewer separated from waste sewer. Where both storm and waste sewer run in same lines, often during heavy rain the lines can not accommodate all the input and water backs up into basements.
This thread applies to my situation: 60 year old house with poured concrete basement, now a game room. Despite the bone-dry conditions on the east coast, we are getting some dampness around the cellar floor drain. This appears to be a back-up from another drain pipe or from the sewer line...I'm not sure which. In any case, we don't really need this drain. Can I plug it up ? Note: otherwise, even in rainy conditions, the basement has remained dry for 4 years.

Old 07-18-08, 09:22 AM
M
I personally would like to see more backwater valves being put to use in remodels, etc. I think it would be nice to have them on all lateral branches in basements as well. $8 for a valve vs a flooded basement - not a hard choice really. Anyways, just a side note.
I can't say that I've ever seen anyone put extra floor drains in for the fun of it...

Old 07-18-08, 10:53 AM
M
Originally Posted by mrkite View Post
I personally would like to see more backwater valves being put to use in remodels, etc. I think it would be nice to have them on all lateral branches in basements as well. $8 for a valve vs a flooded basement - not a hard choice really. Anyways, just a side note.
I can't say that I've ever seen anyone put extra floor drains in for the fun of it...
Thanks but is it OK to seal it up vs. all of the work to install a backwater valve ? Any side-effects from doing so ?

Old 07-18-08, 09:30 PM
M
i never meant to install a backwater valve, just that i wish more people would.
If you seal it off, and it is your only drain in the basement, then you risk a good soaking if it floods.
On the other hand, if you feel it is better to seal it off, then do so, someone had posted already about a cover that allows water to drain but no gases to come back through, that may be an option for you.

Old 07-19-08, 02:20 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Sure, go ahead and seal it up. If the basement was going to leak (other than this drain backing up) it most likely would have shown evidence of it having done so in the past.