Convert from One Sink to Two

Old 09-01-06, 07:36 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Convert from One Sink to Two

I'm installing a new vanity top for two sinks where there was previously just one. The old one was in the middle, so the drain will now be between the two new sinks. The sink centers are 34 inches apart. What's the best way to handle the drains? Should I try and use one J-bend in the middle with drains from the sinks meeting in a T just above the J? How firm is the 30-inch sink-separation rule I've read about? Should I instead install two J-bends and then feed the single drain line? As long as both sinks aren't draining simultaneously, will I have any venting problems either way I do this? Thanks for your guidance on this!

PS: T's on the supply lines, or separate cutoff valves??

Old 09-02-06, 07:37 AM
Two sink drains

I would add a wye to the pipe comming out of the wall, then pipe a trap to each sink. If your vent was o.k. before the change then it should be fine. I would have separate valves for each sink, thay way if you have trouble with one you don't have to turn off both. Luck.

Old 09-02-06, 08:04 AM
D
Two Traps risk of siphon/odors?

Thanks, Shack -- That's one of the options I'm considering. Venting is fine now, but am concerned about the possiblity with two traps, when Sink A drains quickly could it siphon water from Trap B, causing Sink B to release odor. Is that an invalid concern on my part? If not a big deal, then I may go ahead with your suggestion.

Alternative is to shorten the pop-ups on new sinks, put in a 90 degree turn, and pipe horizontal to a T or Wye in the middle, then one trap. Only one trap, no siphoning, no odor problem. Is this a bad idea for me to consider for other reasons? Appreciate the advice.

Old 09-02-06, 08:38 AM
sinks

Originally Posted by DavidLou
Thanks, Shack -- That's one of the options I'm considering. Venting is fine now, but am concerned about the possiblity with two traps, when Sink A drains quickly could it siphon water from Trap B, causing Sink B to release odor. Is that an invalid concern on my part? If not a big deal, then I may go ahead with your suggestion.

Alternative is to shorten the pop-ups on new sinks, put in a 90 degree turn, and pipe horizontal to a T or Wye in the middle, then one trap. Only one trap, no siphoning, no odor problem. Is this a bad idea for me to consider for other reasons? Appreciate the advice.
As long as the vent is o.k. you should not have any problems, the only time you would siphon the other trap is there is not enought air going through the system or you are running S-traps.

Either way will work. If you decide to go with alternative #2 use wyes, not tees; most codes do not allow them with the branch in that position. Luck again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: