clogged vent stack

Old 09-08-06, 01:12 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
clogged vent stack

After smelling sewer gas in bathroom sink.....my husband wentup on the roof to find our "stink" vent clogged with birds nest, crab apples etc, He got out at much as possible with a coat hanger.....but can get all of the debris out. How do you clean these things?

Old 09-08-06, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
you need a snake

I've heard some people say that you can put a garden hose down the vent and flush it out. Plumbers use a long wire thing called a snake that comes in different lengths. You can buy a snake at most hardware stores. We have one that attaches to an electric drill that we mainly use down the tub drain to remove hair and soap build up. I've never used it in the vent. Ask the plumber which snake you need to unplug the vent stack. I hope this helps, The Ladyfixer.

Old 09-08-06, 06:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Just use a garden hose to chug the vent from on the roof. Be careful up there, as falling is fun, it is the sudden stop that can make for a bad day.

Old 09-08-06, 10:56 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Use a straight adjustable nozzle on the end of the hose. Adjust the nozzle for a strong, high-velocity cone-shaped flow to wash the inside walls of the vent pipe. Start the water full-force (valve wide open) and push as much hose as you can down the vent pipe. Push slowly and when you reach the end withdraw the hose slowly.

Old 09-09-06, 05:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
And pray you don't have a total occlusion, or you will be wearing the water. Have someone control the water flow as you do this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: