Main Water Line Size

Old 09-09-06, 12:08 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Main Water Line Size

The house is approximately 300ft. from the water meter at the street. I've been told that 1.25in. line is minimal, but 1.5in. is advised for water pressure sake. The meter is .75in. in & out, so is this going to counter any efforts to increase water flow (pressure) going to the 1.5in. pipe? Also, how deep should I bury the line to protect it from damage when I drive over it with 14,000lbs. on my steer axle?

Old 09-09-06, 02:30 PM
Using a figure of 18 GPM, 1" pipe @300 feet would see about 5.6 PSI drop and a velocity of 3.8 FPM. These are reasonable numbers and would seem to be adequate for a moderately sized house. ( using the same assumptions, 1" pipe would see 2.6PSI drop, and velocity of 2.8 FPM)

There is not a big difference between the two pipes in this case.

The basic design principal we are looking at is this: You can never get MORE pressure and GPM than your service and meter will supply. BUT, using larger pipes will minimize losses. In the above example, 3/4" pipe would see 68 PSI pressure loss, and velocity of 10 FPM. Both completely unacceptable numbers.

By the way, if there is any significant elevation change over that 300 feet, that is a whole new ball game.

Old 09-09-06, 08:03 PM
B
Smile

594tough -

Thanks for the techno. I'm go'na go with the 11/2" pipe (like those numbers), and there is very little elevation change.

Do you think if I bury the line 3' on a bed of sand and cover with same I can put a gravel road over it and not damage the line with a 14,000 lb. axle?

Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: