Stopper stuck in drain

Old 09-12-06, 09:08 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Stopper stuck in drain

The stopper cylinder attaches to the linkage with a cotter pin
unfortunately, the stopper cylinder (basket) is stuck in the drain/tub. It didn't come out when removing the tub drain kit. I've tried using a coat hanger as a hook to try to attach it and have done this for several hours to remove it but, it will not come out. Do you have any other suggestions on how to get this out?

THANKS!

Old 09-12-06, 03:42 PM
Sticky subject

If it has not been "stuck" in there for a long time (months) then you could use a stiffer cable (such as a closet auger to hook on to the plunger) It is a pain at times but can certainly be retrieved this way. Other wise you would need to gain access behind the tub and remove the overflow tube to remove the plunger. If by chance you get it out this way put some heat pruff grease on it when it goes back in.

Old 09-25-06, 07:33 AM
K
Hi,

I've tried everything to get it out including going into the panel and cutting the wall and removed the pipe. Unfortunately, the pipe goes about another 8 inches to an elbow. I removed the water with a wet vac and still can not see the basket in the bottom of the pipe. I again tried using a coat hanger with a hook with no success. The pipe came off very easily but, the the next pipe it's connected to is impossible to come off. The pipe actually has treads on the outside of it which I have never seen before. (I'm no plumber-I'm actually just trying to help my mother in law out). My mother in law actually took the drain system apart and the basket did not come out. I'm going on what's left of the part and the fact the water will not drain allows me to believe it's still stuck in there. I didn't think it would be this hard to remove once I removed the pipe. Could there be another problem? My mother in law said the basket is still iin there but, as I stated I can't see it even when removing the pipe.

Old 09-26-06, 04:33 PM
W
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hi, This type of stopper won't go around a p trap unless it's in pieces also if it was in the trap it would not stop the water because it has no top or bottom that way the overflow on the tub will work. The stopper should be at the T where the tub shoe and overflow connect, I'm thinking maybe the linkage is missing at the top of the stopper and there is nothing to get a hold of. Take the pipe apart as far as you can and see if it's stuck in side if not use a long screwdriver or stiff wire and go down the side of the pipe toward the P trap and see if you can feel it. Do you live in a house with a basement or crawl space? If you do and all else fails cut the Trap loose and relace it all.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: