Faucet Handle troubles

Old 09-12-06, 10:31 AM
Weekend_Warrior
Visiting Guest
Faucet Handle troubles

I recently replaced all the doo-dads on the stem of the leaking bathroom faucet.

I took everything to the hardware store and the plumbing guy picked out all the replacements (friction washers, packing, double-bevel thingy, etc).

I reinstalled the stem, but I can't seem to get enough water out of the faucet. If I back off the lock nut and back out the stem to the point that I do get enough water, then the thing won't shut off all the way.

The only thing I can think I may have done wrong, is maybe I tightened the double bevel thing on the end of the stem too much and it is mushroomed out a little.

Any other ideas??

Old 09-12-06, 07:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Yes, the washer should not be mushroomed. Back off the screw a little till it flattens out. And make sure the washer sits flat within the confines of the rim of the stem. Was the original washer "double beveled", or was it flat on one surface?

Old 09-13-06, 11:10 AM
Weekend_Warrior
Visiting Guest
Flat on one surface.
And the 'non-beveled' surface seemed to be a harder material, maybe plastic.

I just assumed that because it was so old it was mishapen compared to the 'new' one, which now seems like it may eb the wrong part(?)

Old 09-14-06, 03:44 AM
I prefer the more pliable rubber washers to the harder plastic ones if you can find them. Make sure the flat surface entirely covers the brass base where the screw goes in. If there is any space or if the washer overlaps the edges, you do have the wrong size.

Old 09-14-06, 04:37 AM
Weekend_Warrior
Visiting Guest
Hmmmm.....

Well last night I pulled it all apart again. This is what i found:

The fiber washer was mangled. The 'threads' were all unravelling and twisted around the stem. And screw that holds the 'double-bevel-washer-thingy' was backed way out- even though I had over tightened it.

I guess I am going to have to go BACK to the hardware store and try again.

I really don't want to have to replace the entire 3 vlave faucet, as I did this int he other bathroom and it turned into a helluva job, as the wall framing/ faucet mounting are 'non-standard' for whatever reason.

Old 09-14-06, 02:12 PM
Try just replacing the offending stem. It sounds as if the seat in the valve is compromising the washer, since it is "mangled" and the screw is backed out. You can look down into the valve and see if the seat is smooth. If not, you can also pick up a seat reamer and smooth out the seat while you are at it. Post back if we can help further.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: