Pricing...

Old 09-14-06, 06:20 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Pricing...

When you are looking to have plumbing work done... how do you figure out pricing??? Do you just call around? I need someone to cut into my cold water line and install a nozzle to hook up my washing machine. I already have a hot water line... I just need a cold water. Any ideas on pricing or how to estimate what a plumber would charge?

Old 09-14-06, 06:37 AM
Pricing

The trouble with pricing is that it is local. What you have to do is see if anybody will give you an estimate. With a small job like this I think that the best you will do is get a t+m quote. Luck.

Old 09-14-06, 06:43 AM
J
Originally Posted by shacko
The trouble with pricing is that it is local. What you have to do is see if anybody will give you an estimate. With a small job like this I think that the best you will do is get a t+m quote. Luck.

Old 09-14-06, 04:54 PM
Time and materials is righ.

The problem you will run into is no one will give you a price over the phone. There are too many varibles such as existing pipe materials. Plastic and copper would be great, galvanized will be a killer. Also the ease of installation for working on existing pipe and how you support the new pipe. Pipe hangers/supports on concrete take more time to install than wood/sheetrock.

I won't even mention that the plumber will want to talk you into a combination valve for the wash machine hook-up. This will combine the cold and hot water into a one handled valve gizmo the hangs on the wall. There are even automatic units to stop flooding conditions if a hose breaks.

For me to just say $500 will cover you for a great setup that has everything covered will not be the answer you want. To say 50 bucks to just run a water line and a boiler drain hookup will look good price wise, but will it look good as a finished product. Prices change from area to area in material costs and labor costs.

Try to get free estimates and referrences. Good luck with your project.

Now for the $64,000 question.... Why don't you do it?

Old 09-15-06, 05:31 AM
J
The answer is.... I do not know!!! I have tackled electrical, carpentry, will be remodeling the kitchen (without changing any lines or electrical), I have knocked down walls, rebuilt closets, ripped up carpet, and a couple of other things... I can not tell you why I am not doing it by myself. I see where the cold water line could be tapped into. I have the materials (brother was suppose to finish - he installed the hot water). My brother left all the materials at my home... I am not sure why I have not done it!!!

How simple of a job is it to do? Is there somewhere I could get directions for such a job??? Can you explain it to me??? Thanks.

Last edited by DIYaddict; 09-15-06 at 05:50 AM. Reason: removed quote as it's unnecessary to quote the entire post that's directly above yours

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: