Mr. Kong

Old 09-14-06, 06:27 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Mr. Kong

I have copper pipes in my basement. Recently I noticed a small drip or leak. Maybe 5-10 small drips a day at the most. What is the best way to deal with this. I was thinking of wrapping some teflon tape around it since it is only a pinprick sized leak. What's the best solution?

Old 09-14-06, 06:44 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MMMARING
I have copper pipes in my basement. Recently I noticed a small drip or leak. Maybe 5-10 small drips a day at the most. What is the best way to deal with this. I was thinking of wrapping some teflon tape around it since it is only a pinprick sized leak. What's the best solution?
Teflon tape is not going to solve your prob. leaks have the habit of getting bigger. The best solution is to have the defective part cut out and replaiced, sorry.

______________________________________________________"If you don't have the time to do it right, where will you get the time to do it over?"

Old 09-14-06, 02:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
You may find a clamp type repair item with a rubber liner, if they still make them, but I agree with shacko, a final repair is mandated with copper pipe. You may have either a sandy or calcium situation in your water which will cause pinhole leaks in the pipe, so get ready for more. Filtering with a whole house filter may help.

Old 09-15-06, 12:04 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Chandler is right. If it's a poorly soldered fitting, it should be replaced. If it's a pinhole caused by aggressive water, you should get to the bottom of it, and quickly. Call your water dept to ask about copper piping & pinholes. If you're on a well, get the water analyzed.

Old 09-15-06, 04:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
I found out the hard way on a customer repair. They called back with water still dripping, only in another location. I turned off the water and began squeezing the copper line with a pair of pliers. the bottom of each pipe for about 10' was paper thin and a disaster waiting to happen. I cut out some pieces and the id was much larger than a new piece, indicating sand or something else was grinding away at it from the inside.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: