Installing water pump and pressure tank?

Old 09-15-06, 06:19 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing water pump and pressure tank?

How easy is it to install? Would like to install a 35 gallon tank. Would also like to increase the psi in the second floor bathroom to about 40psi. The tank would sit two floors below in the basement. It is a small 100 year old farm house.

Any advice on which model tank and pump to purchase.

All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

LosHornos

Old 09-15-06, 12:19 PM
Does the house currently have city water and you're looking to up the line pressure, or is the house served by another tank/pump and you're looking to increase capacity, or are you replacing an old system? Installing difficulty varies by what you're trying to do.

-N

Old 09-18-06, 04:50 PM
L
raising psi...

The water for our house comes from our own private "springhouse." Believe it our not. It is very rural and the springhouse still works... It is up above the house on a hill, so the house is gravity fed. The psi in the upstairs bathroom is only around 12-15 psi. We need it to be 20psi (the least) for a new stacking washer.

Old 09-18-06, 09:45 PM
Spring fed house, that's a new one for me. As for installation of a pump and tank it should be straight forward and simple. I’ve labeled the basic parts you’ll need for the tank in this image (http://db.homelinux.org/share/incoming/tank-fittings.gif). The tank tee will be 1 inch so you’ll have to figure out what is needed to convert/connect the pump to it. Electrically the connections in the pressure switch are as simple as a light switch. If you need help on them I can post another image.

Old 09-25-06, 01:25 PM
L
Jet Pump...

I need to boost my upstairs pressure to at least 20psi for the washer.

What "jet pump" is the quietest and most energy efficient?
The house is over 100 years old and you can hear a mouse in the basement.

I know we will here the pump, but if there is a quieter one, I would like to go for it.

Thanks

Old 09-25-06, 06:41 PM
Sorry but I don't really know which pumps are the quietest. Maybe someone else can answer that. I do know if it’s a problem for you, you can build a box/cover that will fit over the pump out of wood and styrofoam insulation to quiet it down. Three inches or so of styrofoam should mute it.

Old 09-26-06, 10:18 AM
L
box for pump...

wouldn't overheating be a concern, if you put a box over it?

Old 09-26-06, 07:40 PM
True. The water that passes thru the pump cools it quite a bit but it may need a little air circulation too. It depends on how much you run the pump and the HP. A few vent holes in the side and top of the box should be enough. I’ve never built a noise enclosure for a pump before but see no problem with it. If the pump gets hot then just drill a few more holes in the box till it stays cool. Modern jet pumps have built in overheating protection so you do have a safety net to work with. Who knows, maybe it won't even be an issue.

Old 08-04-10, 12:10 PM
J
pump runs briefly then shuts off

I installed a 3/4 horsepower pump on a 25' deep well but it runs briefly the pressure gauge jumps up to about 50 then the pump cuts off. I checked the foot valve, the check valve, all the connections, and primed the pump thoroughly and am out of ideas.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: