Vent Question

Old 09-16-06, 06:32 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vent Question

I am refinishing a basement and building a wet bar. I am near a drain pipe and have the ability to tap off the supply. The problem is I am not near the basement bath vent. I cannot run the pipe to it due to a beam in the way.

There is a 3 inch pvc pipe that runs overhead off the hvac system and that vents to the outside. Can I tap into that pipe to vent my bar sink?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Old 09-16-06, 07:51 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Do not tie into the HVAC pipe. Plumbing vents are required to go above the roof line in most States. Check with your Local Code office and see if Air Admittance Valves (Studor vent) are permitted in your area. Good luck.

Old 09-18-06, 04:52 PM
W
Angry No vent...No Bar !

I am in the exact same situation (finishing basement and planning wetbar), I have a stack from laundry and kitchen I can use for drain (21' away), supply lines are nearer, I am wondering if I can wet-vent through the laundry and kitchen drain stack or use an AAV, otherwise I am screwed. What other options are there? Why is it so hard to find building codes online? Shouldnt they be available to homeowner DIY'ers? If its in black and white it would make building to code much easier if its accessible!

Old 09-19-06, 10:38 AM
K
thanks Dragon, I sort of figured that. AAV aren't code here, why I can't figure. I will use one anyway as I am not going to bother getting this inspected.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: