Smell in Shower Drain

Old 09-19-06, 04:45 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smell in Shower Drain

We moved into a new house in Jan 2006 and have not had a problem with the main shower until approx 2 weeks ago. I started to notice a smell when you turned on the water in the shower and the water started going into the drain. The smell is awful and stays around for a long period of time. It eventually goes away, but is always there when someone takes a shower. My husband looked inside the drain at the pea trap (?) and says it does have water in it, but the water looks like it is bubbling.
All of our other showers, etc. are fine. We are definetly not plumbing experts, so any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Old 09-19-06, 08:26 AM
W
Received 30 Upvotes on 24 Posts
It sounds like you may have a problem with your vent stack. All your plumbing has to be vented to the atmosphere to work properly. If your vent is accessible, they are usually just a pipe sticking out of the roof, look down it with a flashlight. Sometimes they clog from leaves, debris, birds etc.

Old 09-19-06, 10:01 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much - my husband will check into this. If this is the problem, wouldn't it effect the bathtub, toilet, etc. in the same bathroom? They seem to be fine, so I am Just wondering

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: