Repair Mansfield Frost-Proof Sillcock

Old 09-20-06, 06:20 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Repair Mansfield Frost-Proof Sillcock

I couldn't find anything in the Mansfield website to explain how to disassemble the sillcock. I stripped the threads on my packing nut and a fifteen minute job turned into a four hour project.
Mansfield makes a good kit for 300 or 500 series. I found it at a Do It Best hardware store. The kit contains all parts for any rebuild and you throw away unused parts. I needed a magnifying glass to read the tiny illustrations on the back of the parts kit.
Unscrew the knob and remove it. Look all around the outside of the outlet spout for a letter L cast in. If you see the L or see a slot across the face of the exposed white nylon nut, you have a left hand thread, so turn the white nut clockwise to remove it. Screw the knob back on the shaft in order to turn the shaft counter-clockwise until the shaft will slide out of the faucet.
Unscrew the knob from the shaft again. Study the information on the back of the package and decide which series valve you have. Replace series-appropriate components at both ends of the shaft, according to the illustrations on the package.
For me, that stopped most of the leak. Mansfield says if you still have a drip out the outlet spout, call their customer service during business hours, to rent a refurbishing tool, but they don't give a customer service number for what they call "wall hydrants". That will be today's adventure.

Last edited by Mayfie; 09-20-06 at 06:24 AM. Reason: mis spelled "tool"
Old 09-20-06, 08:27 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sill-****

Get a new replacement! You have way too much time into trying to repair what you have, you may have spent more money on parts then what a new one is worth. Once you stripped the threads there is a good chance that any repair will not work. How much gut ache do you want? Luck be with you.

-------------------------------------------------------------"If you don't have the time to do it right, where will you find the time to do it over?"

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: