Shower water pressure / leak problem

Old 09-21-06, 03:53 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Shower water pressure / leak problem

I have a 3 valve setup in my shower (hot/cold/diverter). Recently I had felt the handles feeling kind of loose and I had been having to turn them more in order to shut off the water. Even then I would have a small drip coming out of the faucet, which continues. Also, when using the shower a steady stream of hot water flows out of the faucet . Eventually I broke off the handle on the diverter. Went to OSH and bought a generic replacement kit. The one with the square rubber adaptors that connect the base of the handle to the stem. I used the best fitting adaptor, but when turning the handle the adaptor would slip causing the handle to turn round and round without anything happening. I ended up using the handle from the kit but keeping the original base which connects to the stem. Everything seems to fit fine. I get regular water pressure out of the faucet, but when I turn the diverter (which feels normal) I get very low water pressure and volume coming out of the shower head. It seems like only a certain amount of water is allowed to make it to the shower head because I'll turn both the hot and cold handles round and round and the same amount of water will come out. The only thing that changes is the temperature based on which handle I turn.

Sorry for the long explanation. I am brand new at handywork. I would so greatly appreciate help with:
1-Fixing the water pressure issue (urgent)
2-Fixing the faucet water flow while using shower head
3-Fixing drip

Thanks so much!

Old 09-21-06, 04:27 PM
Try taking off the shower head and seeing if more water comes out the pipe. Your tinkering could have plugged the head up. If so then run some water backwards thru it to to get out what ever is plugging it.

Old 09-22-06, 01:52 PM
L
Help

Thanks for your reply. Do I just unscrew the shoewr head from the pipe? I don't want to break anything but it looks like I might need a wrench to unscrew the head. Sound right? Do I just use plain water and run that through the front of the shower head? If that doesn't work, what else can I do? Could it have something to do with the diverter valve?

Old 09-22-06, 08:33 PM
Yes it should screw off and on. If you turn the shower on when the head is off you'll be able to tell if the head is clogged by how much water comes out the pipe. Normal water should clean out the head.

Old 09-23-06, 02:31 PM
S
I agree, see if it is clogged

I would say that it may be clogged. Little bits of dirt and grime can come loose when repairing and clog the shower head just enough to greatly affect water pressure. My kitchen sink had that problem and the screen was clogged. I thought I had water pressure problems. I replaced the screw on parts on the end of the faucet and it was fine. Plenty of pressure.

Old 09-26-06, 11:07 AM
L
Talking Thank You

Thanks to both of you for your replies. The shower head was indeed clogged, and now works perfectly again. Thank you!

Now, any ideas as to problem #2, which is the tub faucet running a steady thin stream while using the shower head. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-26-06, 07:45 PM
As long as the water isn't pouring out I wouldn’t be concerned. But if you want to fix it you can take the diverter out and see if there is any corrosion or buildup residue keeping the rubber gasket from sealing down.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: