Sewer Clean out pipe, Vented or Capped?

Old 09-22-06, 06:18 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sewer Clean out pipe, Vented or Capped?

Hi,
We just had a bout a four foot section of our main sewer line replaced in our front yard. The 6" Clay (house bulit in 1960) had collapsed at the trap and was backing up into the house.
My question is the new 4" PVC clean out stack that comes up to through the lawn, should it have a soild cap or vented cap. I've heard that having it vented helps with the flow of water from the house to the main sewer line.

Old 09-22-06, 06:23 PM
Great question for old plumbers... Do house traps need a vented cap for clean outs in the yard?

If the house trap was removed, your answer is no. A solid cap will work just fine. The main drain vent will provide all the air you need.

More questions, ask away, someone will answer you.

Old 09-23-06, 05:34 PM
W
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hi, I would use a vent, the reason is that if the main line plugs up the back up will be on the lawn not inside the house.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 09-24-06, 03:15 PM
J
I'm going to try the cap first. The old clay trap was removed and it was replaced with just a "tee" for the clean out stack. I don't think that if the main line backs up it would come up the clean out vent. It's 8' down. Our basement laundry tub is the only open line in our basement and was the first to start backing up, that lead us to know we had a major problem. I'm going to cut the clean out stack down to about 3" off the ground this week. Just got to move some left over dirt.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: