Rubber plug sucked thru line- stuck!

Old 10-02-06, 11:24 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rubber plug sucked thru line- stuck!

While attempting to drain a pool we used a rubber plug from the pool store to stop the skimmer line from sucking.
However- the suction from the line sucked the plug right into the line. It's stuck about 18" in. It actually went down and made the 90 degree corner. We tried a snake but were concered that we would push it deep into the line.

Is there a flexible tool that has either a grab tool on the end or a corkscrew type end so that we can grab it and attempt to pull it through or 'drill' into it and pull it out?
Even if we yanked pieces off until it was small enough to pass through to the skimmer basket or small enough to pull it back through the hole.

We've used a shop vac and tried blowing it out, sucking it out..it's stuck. However, enough water will pass by it so that the idea of it building up enough pressure to blow itself out probaby won't work.

The line is surrounded by concrete and beautiful cool decking.

Even a flex tool with a blade on the end of it-perhaps slicing it up and then grabbing chunks would work.

The pipe is pvc pipe.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Old 10-02-06, 06:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Try reversing the water in the skimmer via the valve at the tank. You may get enough pressure over a period of time to push it out. You said it turned a 90 degree turn. Is it out of sight, even after pulling the deck plate? You also mentioned drilling into it, so we really could use some good pix to see exactly what you have. Prior to reversing the water flow, lower the water in the pool to below the skimmer intake, and spread some pump lubricant above the plug, so if it does move any, it will tend to slip on the lube.

Old 10-03-06, 10:28 AM
J
Long time since I had a pool. Can you reverse the water through the skimmers?

Hot tub + barbie doll. I had to cut the pipe and force water from below with a pump I borrowed. At first the water just went around barbie then I put a rag in from below and out she popped. If you do this you will probably not be able to isioolate one skimmer. You will probably have to plug the rest of them up. Iam thinking sewer line plugs, the expanding rubber type.

Old 10-03-06, 07:41 PM
D
chandler- I removed the skimmer cover but the plate where you might connect a vacuum hose for cleaning the pool is fixed.
The plug is about 18" away from the opening. It's at the bottom of an "L" right after making the 90 degree corner. I'm going to attach a drain king at the pump end and hope to force the water in the opposite direction. Any ideas how I can get the lubricant all the way down to where the plug is stuck?

JimmieDee-it's interesting to hear what people get stuck in skimmers.

Old 10-06-06, 03:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
The only way I know of to get the lube to it, is to lower the water level past the location where the plug is and put some on the end of a flexible cable with a small rag on it and snake it down and try to get it on the walls and where the plug meets the walls. You can fill it back up if it makes suctioning easier, as the lube will not wash off.

Old 10-25-06, 08:40 PM
R
This ones a humdinger for sure eh????? If I understand you correctly, you are able to pump water backwards toward the blockage but the plug is allowing enough water to go by to prevent enough pressure buildup to push the plug out . Am I correct????????? If you can in fact back pressure with water, heres a suggestion. Get yourself a number of ping pong balls and insert them into the line then back pressure the line , the balls should travel to the blockage a might push it out. I also thought about a smaller plug doing the same thing. I'll follow this one fur sure. Renolenny

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: