Switching from gas to electric oven (Piping Question)

Old 10-08-06, 10:50 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Switching from gas to electric oven (Piping Question)

We just purchased a new electric oven, but we previously had a gas oven. I am trying to find out how we can remove or shorten the gas line coming into the wall behind the oven. We are unable to push the new oven up against the wall because the pipe is sticking out so much. The is about a 4 inch gap because of the pipe. So, is it possible to remove it or cap it off or plug it right even with the wall? And how difficult will this be? Thank you.

Old 10-08-06, 09:54 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello nicoleah and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

I am not a plumber whom works with gas piping. However, I moved your question into this plumbing and piping forum topic.

Your question then can be answered by the professionals in this topic whom deal with piping daily. They know best what can be done and how to do it correctly and do it safely.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in one thread.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 10-09-06, 08:21 AM
Gas pipe

Originally Posted by nicoleah
We just purchased a new electric oven, but we previously had a gas oven. I am trying to find out how we can remove or shorten the gas line coming into the wall behind the oven. We are unable to push the new oven up against the wall because the pipe is sticking out so much. The is about a 4 inch gap because of the pipe. So, is it possible to remove it or cap it off or plug it right even with the wall? And how difficult will this be? Thank you.
If you have access to the pipe in the basement, that is the place to go. You can cap it at that point, you must turn off the main gas valve unless you have a valve that serves this fixture. any other gas fixtures will have to be turned back on, if you don't think that you can do this, call a pro., not something to be confused with.

"If all else fails, read the directions"

Old 10-09-06, 08:42 AM
J
You didnt say what kind of pipe this was. I am assuming its iron pipe. You could screw it out of the wall and replace it with a shorter piece and cap.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: