Vibrating pipes

Old 10-09-06, 10:34 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vibrating pipes

Why do my water pipes vibrate during certain cycles of the dishwasher. I've had a dishwasher repairperson out twice and the problem did not occur on those two visits. The visits were in the morning, I usually run the machine during the weekday evening.

The vibration occurs during a machine cycle when the water is being pulled into the machine. The vibrations will last for a minute or so then stop when the cycle switches to the wash mode. Initially the vibration was originating from a pipe under the sink next to the dishwasher, lately I have been feeling and hearing vibrations on a pipe near the water heater toward the back of the house. The repairperson thought it had to do with water pressure being lower in the evening when more people are using water. It's an old house, but the problem was not occurring when we first moved into the house. We did have the main water line go out within 3 months of living at the house.

What is causing the vibrations and how do I remedy the situation? thanx

Old 10-11-06, 04:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Have someone check the water pressure coming into the house. Your pressure may be too high, and the valve doesn't like it. If all is well there, then it appears the fill valve on the dishwasher may not be opening completely and allowing a vibration to be set up which telegraphs to the pipes.

Old 10-11-06, 07:04 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool vibrating pipes

Check your toilet float valve when the vibrating occurs. Pressure slightly lowers when other water is run and causes the diaphram in the fill mechanism in the toilet to flutter violently, and is hard to determine where it comes from becaause it shakes the whole house pipes! Usually adjusting the float level so water doesn't fill as high in the tank will solve the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: