High water pressure causing me issues?

Old 10-10-06, 06:03 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry High water pressure causing me issues?

I posted a few days ago about a "bong/pop" I am having in my house. When the dishwasher comes on, it will make this sound about 6-8 times while it's "drawing" water (hot, only) and then it stops. From that point on, when the dishwasher is done running, I get that "bong/pop" every 2-3min. for a while, then every 10min., then every 20min. until I think it goes away, or we use the dishwasher again.

If I put my hands on the hot water pipe under the sink that feeds the dishwasher, I can feel the hot water rushing up to it when the noise starts. As well, I can physically feel a "spike/pulsation" in the pipe when the noise is made. I've secured all the pipes downstairs under the floor, so that's not an issue.

Today, I bought a water hammer arrester from Lowe's and installed it inline b/t the dishwasher feed line and the main water line. Didn't do a thing. If I shut the valve off that taps the water line, and feeds the dishwasher, the noise goes away. Obviously, the diswasher won't work, but the noise does go away.

Finally, here's where all this is going. About 6-8 months ago, they built a new water tower about 400 yards from my house. I decided to test the pressure. I bought a meter at Lowe's and it's showing 82 psi! The package says 60psi is normal, if not slightly high. This reading is take on an outside spigot next to where the main water line comes in the house. I tried choking the main water line back by closing the valve, but it didn't do anything to lower the pressure.

I'm starting to wonder if my dishwasher doesn't like this high pressure and is screaming when it draws hot water. If so, why is that the hot water line is the only one I can *feel* shake and make that noise? Could it be simple expansion/contraction from the cold pipes taking on hot water? If so, why did it just start in the last 2-months? I should also note that none of the other valve (toilets, sinks, showers, etc.) seem to impact this condition in ANY way. I can turn them on and off until i'm blue in the face and there are no noises that are unusal. It's just the dishwasher that's causing issues. House is 1.5 years old and I haven't had the dishwasher issue and bong/pop for more than 2-3 months.

Assuming it's the water pressure that may be causing it, who do I call in my town about that?

Okay, that's a lot of puke, but I'm hoping the detail will help someone help me. Please!

Thanks!

Old 10-11-06, 03:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If "they" built the water tower, then "they" should have provided pressure regulators to place in line to control this high water pressure. And, yes your dishwasher is protesting the pressure. It is being caused by the fill valve trying to take on the pressure and shut is off at the same time.
If "they" won't provide the regulator, then get one yourself and install it. It ceases being political when your living room is full of water from burst pipes. Now, if they did furnish one, all you have to do is adjust the pressure. You need to purchase a pressure gauge that screws onto an outside spigot so you can tell if the pressure is being adjusted properly. It will run less than $10.

Old 10-11-06, 04:37 AM
S
Originally Posted by chandler
If "they" built the water tower, then "they" should have provided pressure regulators to place in line to control this high water pressure. And, yes your dishwasher is protesting the pressure. It is being caused by the fill valve trying to take on the pressure and shut is off at the same time.
If "they" won't provide the regulator, then get one yourself and install it. It ceases being political when your living room is full of water from burst pipes. Now, if they did furnish one, all you have to do is adjust the pressure. You need to purchase a pressure gauge that screws onto an outside spigot so you can tell if the pressure is being adjusted properly. It will run less than $10.
I've got the guage already---that's how I determined I had too much pressure. I will be calling the water department today to talk to them.

Thanks!

Old 10-11-06, 04:24 PM
S
Question

Yo! Hello DEAD forum....

Old 10-12-06, 08:08 AM
water pressure

Most codes do not allow any pressure over 80LB. The higher you run it the more wear and tear on your system, and noise.

Usually 60LBs is fine.

The area that I work in it's the homeowners resposibility to reduce it after the municipal system

I think that you need a pressure reducing valve,[for your info. throttlling a valve will not reduce pressure], if you put one in make sure that you have a gage near the valve. Lots of luck.

................................................................................
"If all else fails, read the directions"

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: