Looking for tool to open top of pump.

Old 10-12-06, 07:06 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Looking for tool to open top of pump.

I have an old water pump that I want to open the top valve to so I can pour water in it to prime it. I can't seem to get the top plug to come loose. It is a circle plug with a 1/2" square sunk in the middle. I am looking for a tool to stick in this 1/2" square hole so I can twist off this piece. Does anyone know of an online source where I can get something like this? I have tried making my own tool, but the top is to tight for this.
Thanks

Old 10-12-06, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
If the recess is indeed 1/2" wide then the tool to use would be a 1/2" drive breaker bar or large 1/2" ratchet.
A breaker bar is like a ratchet but has a long handle and only a swivel on the end.
You would take a hammer and CAREFULLY tap it into the recess to make sure it has fully seated.

When you get it out replace it with a new plug with flats for a wrench.

Old 10-19-06, 08:57 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If this isnt 1/2 inch get a piece of square metal stock from the hardware. I have a few sizes I use for plugs like this. Just stick them in the plug and turn with a wrench. I really dont know why but my HS shop teacher taught me not to use a ratchet or pull handle for this. Well there was the one time I tried and thought I would never get my 1/2" extension out of the plug.

Old 10-19-06, 09:05 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

A tinners hammer fits a lot of that type of plug.
just put a wrench on the hammer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: