Air coming up through toilet every time sump pump comes on

Old 10-13-06, 06:31 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Air coming up through toilet every time sump pump comes on

I am getting air forced up through the toilet every time the sump pump turns on. The drain pipes are cast iron. The sump pump is used only for laundry drainage. There is also a nasty smell that comes up. I have also noticed that whenever the toilet is flushed, I get a small amount of air that comes back up. I thought that it was a plugged drain but the lines are clear. I am not getting any leaks from under the toilet either.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-13-06, 08:25 AM
J
Sounds like a venting problem with the stack. Also, in many places sump pumps cannot be connected to the sewer line as per code.

Old 10-13-06, 02:06 PM
J
"Sounds like a venting problem with the stack. Also, in many places sump pumps cannot be connected to the sewer line as per code."

Is it possible that something is plugging the vent pipe?
I talked to the original owners and they said that the sump pump has always been connected to the sewer drain. The house is over 40 years old. Should I reroute the sump pump. If so, where does it need to be pumped or drained to?

Old 10-14-06, 03:08 PM
J
Sure, the vent pipe could be blocked. You may have to get on the roof to clear it.
As far as sump pumps, I cannot say what your local code is. You may want to talk with the city or a plumber.

Old 10-15-06, 07:40 PM
J
Thumbs up Fixed Problem

Just wanted to say thanks to Jim-Connor for the help. I fixed the problem. It turned out that it was a vent pipe as you stated. I ran a garden hose down through the roof vent pipe, turned on the water and forced it out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: