Move washing machine drain from sink to standpipe?

Old 10-15-06, 07:01 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Move washing machine drain from sink to standpipe?

Hola! My washing machine currently drains right into our utility sink which works great except when something falls into or is left in the sink and it backs up water all over the basement. I know the cheap and easy solution is to be more careful. What I'm wondering is how I could add a standpipe to what I already have. Would it connect to the pipe between the sink and P trap with a wye or something? Do standpipes have their own ptraps? The entire assembly is 2" right now so that shouldn't be a problem.

Lastly, as a side question, the sink is about 2' from the drainpipe, is it ok to move it 6-8' away?

As always, thanks to all in advance.

Old 10-16-06, 05:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Standpipes have their own trap. The stand pipe is from 18 to 42 inches tall. (higher is better) Made of 2 inch pipe.

Moving the sink will not be an issue as long as the trap outlet is less than 6 feet away from the main stack. This is actually a local code issue but generally 2 inch will be good for 6 feet and under, for unvented fixtures. 6 foot rule would also apply to the trap outlet for the standpipe.

Good luck with your project...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: