Connection between water supply and ice maker

Old 10-19-06, 11:02 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Connection between water supply and ice maker

Hello,

I want to replace the 10 ft long piece of copper that attaches to the ice maker in the frig to the water supply line. The copper has become kinked and I'm worried that the integrity of the tubing has been compromised. Should I install stainless steel, pvc or just replace with another piece of copper? Also, I though pvc plastic was a no-no on water supply lines used for drinking?

I've seen the new stainless steel supply lines with the automatic shutoff valves that kill the supply of water when there is a break in line. Are these really nessesary and worth the added expense if the line is stainless steel. Seems like overkill to me.

Old 10-19-06, 07:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
The flood stop lines will work if you have a dead purge of water. They won't do any good on a small pinhole type leak. The water has to rush past the valve before it closes, so it depends on what type of protection you are looking for. How far do you have to run the line? If it is a short distance, say to under the sink, then the stainless or copper lines are good to go. It is ok to use the plastic lines, as they are food grade and impart nothing to the water. I don't like using the piercing type saddle valves, however, so if you have the choice, make a tee connection with a cut off if you don't already have one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: