vacant home for winter, how to winterize pipes?

Old 10-29-06, 05:05 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
vacant home for winter, how to winterize pipes?

My mother plans to be in FL for the winter. We live in southern IN and she needs to know what to do with the pipes to keep them from freezing while she's gone. She can't afford to keep the utilities on (gas and electric) so we are in need of information on how to winterize the home. Thanks for any information you can offer.
Kathy

Old 10-29-06, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Does her house have a heating boiler?
If so this will have to be addressed.

The water piping will have to be blown out with compressed air, toilet tanks and bowls drained, sink traps drained and basement floor drains if she has any will have to be emptied as well.
All traps will then have to be refilled with anti-freeze to keep sewer gas out. This is commonly sold as RV Antifreeze.
I know you get freezing weather but am unsure of how deep your frost line goes.
A problem you will have is where the city or well water line enters the house.
This could freeze at the foundation wall and also will have to be dealt with.

This would take a plumber who knows how to properly do it.
If it is a big house and there is a lot of piping he may want to put antifreeze into some of the water piping to prevent water sitting in low lying spots.

There is a possibility that if the heat were totally shut off to have some shifting of the structure taking place.
People more familiar with your climate might have a better idea on this though.

hope this helps.

Old 10-30-06, 08:17 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaving a house unheated for the winter is a very bad idea. The damage that it will cause will be far more than the savings from heating it. The heat can be safely turned down to between 45 and 50 degrees. I would re-think this situation if I were you. JMO

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: