Thumping, knocking or just plain noisy pipes

Old 10-30-06, 12:32 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Thumping, knocking or just plain noisy pipes

Everytime I turn on or off any faucet or flush the toilet in the house, I hear a knocking sound. Twice I heard the noise in the middle of the night when nothing was being used. I thought there might be air in the pipes so I did the whole water flushing that was recommended on this site. It worked the first time for a few days and then the problem came back. I decided to change the fill value in my toilet but that did not solve the problem. A plumber inspected the pipes but just said that I have a loose pipe in the wall and there was nothing he could do. I kind of don't believe him because he didn't do anything except listen to the noise. Can a plumber tell what a problem is by just listening? Any advice on what to do? Thanks

Old 10-30-06, 09:26 PM
Yes he could tell if it is a loose pipe by listening to it. Unless he tracked it down he wouldn’t know if it is in a wall or under the floor or maybe in the crawl space/basement. You can track it down. Turn on a faucet and put your ear to the walls. If you find the pipe you can cut open the wall and secure the pipe.

Old 11-02-06, 10:38 AM
D
Smile

Water hammer is a common problem and can be solved by adding an air cushen fitting in line with the pipe systems. Your home center will have a plumbing expert to help you purchase the correct fitting. The new solderless copper pipe aplications make the job even easier.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: