Ease of installing Thermal Expansion Tank

Old 10-30-06, 02:59 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ease of installing Thermal Expansion Tank

How difficult is it to install a thermal expansion tank in my house? My T&P relief valve is leaking and I'm pretty sure a tank would solve it (hopefully). Is this something I can do without prior experience soldering? Reading up on everything it seems pretty easy....

Old 10-30-06, 09:39 PM
The tank gets spliced somewhere in the cold water line. It is good to have to by the water heater to cut down confusion but it could really be anywhere. Since you have not ever soldered pipes before Id suggest getting someone that has to help you out. Otherwise you could get stuck with a cut waterline and a problem.

The trick to soldering is to rough up the pipe and the inside of the connection with sand paper, put on lots of flux and heat up the connection itself. When its hot enough the joint will suck up the solder until it drips out the bottom. When you get it right youll know it.

Old 10-30-06, 10:25 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Just dont forget 95/5 solder

Old 10-31-06, 09:23 AM
flux

Originally Posted by Niadh
The tank gets spliced somewhere in the cold water line. It is good to have to by the water heater to cut down confusion but it could really be anywhere. Since you have not ever soldered pipes before Id suggest getting someone that has to help you out. Otherwise you could get stuck with a cut waterline and a problem.

The trick to soldering is to rough up the pipe and the inside of the connection with sand paper, put on lots of flux and heat up the connection itself. When its hot enough the joint will suck up the solder until it drips out the bottom. When you get it right youll know it.
"Put on lots of flux" is wrong, you use the minimal amount that will cover the joint.

"If all else fails, read the directions"

Old 10-31-06, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by shacko
"Put on lots of flux" is wrong, you use the minimal amount that will cover the joint.
If he uses too little flux the joint wont hold solder. Id rather see it with too much. It makes the joint more forgiving for learners.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: