Water Piping Questions

Old 11-04-06, 08:36 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water Piping Questions

Please help...
How many connecting tees can one water line have? I have the cold water line running to the water heater. On this one line (15 feet or so) there are already two tees hooked up to it. One is supplying the kitchen above and the other looks as if it is a dead line in a unsued bathroom. Can I add another tee in between these two tees? It would be approx 4 feet between both tees - smack dead in the middle. please advise. Also, I am adding a 1/2 line to a 3/4 copper line. please let me know if this would pose a problem such as strain or something...

Old 11-04-06, 08:50 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
go for it... should be no problem....

Old 11-04-06, 08:53 AM
J
Thanks... I have been waiting for this moment for months!!! I need a washing machine BADLY!!! Doyou know how much it costs to go to the laundromat Thanks again... I will post when done!!!

Old 11-04-06, 08:56 AM
T
Personally, I might consider hooking up into the "dead end" - as it's already there - but that depends on the complexity of the resulting pipe run. I would suggest you add a shutoff valve at your new "T" - to allow you to have kitchen water while you're finishing up the washing machine system.

Old 11-04-06, 09:43 AM
J
okay hit a snag... cant find my water shut off!!! I see the water meter in my basement but I do not see a "valve" to shut if off. it is an american water meter. I do see a shut off valve but is says gas on the lever and it is not running to the meter. the hot water heater is easy as i see the lever for that. how do i shut off the main line?

Old 11-04-06, 09:48 AM
J
Never Mind... It Was The Onei Thought Was Gas!!! Thanks Again!!!

Old 11-04-06, 12:10 PM
J
Okay... almost 3 hours later and most of my solder (went over twice - thought it did not take) I have a washing machine and there is no water in my basement... Thanks to everyone that assisted me and now it is time to hook up the dryer!!!

Old 11-04-06, 01:00 PM
T
Congratulations - glad it worked out okay...

Old 11-04-06, 02:39 PM
J
Originally Posted by thezster
Congratulations - glad it worked out okay...
I could not have done it without your help... Thanks again!
One question, I went over the solder in someplace twice because it did not look like it catched... would this be okay? There are no leaks and my water is running fine throughout the house...

Old 11-04-06, 03:14 PM
It is not advisable to reheat a joint to resolder, because you don't know what the flux sitation is. If you do this before you ever turned the water back on, it may be OK. Once there is water in the pipe, there is no going back. A redo will require complete disassembly and reprep/

If you need to do any future projects, invest 10 or 15 $ in some scraps of pipe and some assorted fittings. Use these to just do some practive joints. You will be surprised how much just a few practice runs will help you.

Old 11-04-06, 03:31 PM
J
Originally Posted by 594tough
It is not advisable to reheat a joint to resolder, because you don't know what the flux sitation is. If you do this before you ever turned the water back on, it may be OK. Once there is water in the pipe, there is no going back. A redo will require complete disassembly and reprep/

If you need to do any future projects, invest 10 or 15 $ in some scraps of pipe and some assorted fittings. Use these to just do some practive joints. You will be surprised how much just a few practice runs will help you.
Thanks for the advice. Actually it was only the first joint I put solder on top of solder. Once I got the hang of it the second and third joint went without a hitch. I actually was nervous about the first joint. I did this before I turned the water on. I did everything that was advised like stuff bread and I cleaned the joint inside and out to look like a shiney new penny!! Do you think it will continue to hold because their is no leak now?

Old 11-04-06, 03:53 PM
T
Never a guarantee - but if it doesn't leak within the first 24 hours, you're probably home free - as long as the pipe is well supported and doesn't have much "wiggle potential" which can be hell on questionable joints...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: