Squealing/Whistling/High-Pitch Noisey Pipes

Old 11-04-06, 04:22 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Squealing/Whistling/High-Pitch Noisey Pipes

I live in an apartment block and the bathroom is on the 3rd floor. Last week, when having a shower, the pipes (both hot and cold) would whistle or have a constant high-pitch noise. It is very loud. The basin in the bathroom does not have the same loud noise. All the other plumbing in the house is okay.

Yesterday I replaced the O-ring, thread washer and valve to both taps and the noise seemed to go away. However, later in the day, when having a shower, the noise has returned and its still a constant noise, but lower pitch. The hot water now seems to loose pressure but the cold water stays constant. The replacement valve was a "soft-turn" tap valve.

Can someone help diagnose what the problem is and what can be done to fix it?

Last edited by missnanx; 11-04-06 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-04-06, 06:25 PM
M
Anyone please I'm desperate for some help because I'm not a plumber!

Old 11-04-06, 08:34 PM
The noise is only when taking a shower correct? And you've replaced both the hot and cold valve? Is this a tub/shower with a diverter or shower only? If it has a diverter I’d check it to see if it is plugged. Was either of the valves clogged when you replaced them?

Old 11-04-06, 09:08 PM
M
Thanks for responding to my post- much appreciated.

The noise occurs only when I take a shower and have replaced the O ring, body washer and tap valve to both hot and cold shower taps. When I replaced the body washer, the hot body washer was a bit brittle, but all the other components looked okay. I replaced them all just in case.

The shower is a shower (not on a diverter). When I took the taps out and had a look at the pipes, they didn't look like there was anything in them. I have also taken the shower head off and turned the shower on full (hot and cold) to flush out any debris that might be in the pipes. Alas, still no luck

Old 11-04-06, 09:39 PM
When you had the shower head off was there still a noise?

Old 11-05-06, 01:25 AM
M
Yes, when the showerhead was off, there was still a noise...

Old 11-05-06, 05:22 PM
Does the noise happen with just cold water or just hot water?

Usually high pitched noised are tracked down to loose washers or clogged valves. Since the noise went away for a bit after you replaced the valves it may just be you didn’t get one side tightened back down enough or it is already plugged up.

I'd take out the valves and turn the water on without them in. That will clean out anything behind the valve. Then take a close look at them to see if they’re plugged. Run some water backwards thru them to help clean them out. Put it all back together and see if that fixes it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: